7mm PRC

I doubt any of us have true pressure instrumentation but I will say I have 7 reloads on Nosler brass with zero loose primer pockets and without any of the traditional signs of pressure (ejector marks / swipes, primer cratering, heavy bolt lift). I've ladder tested up to pressure signs and back off to accuracy node below that. Two different rifles…one with 24" Bartlein 8.7twst one with 24" Proof 8twst.

Maybe I just haven't seen load data for the 7PRC that is really utilizing the full capability of the cartridge but most everything I've seen is similar to my 280ai loads (I hit pressure signs around 3050 with 168vlds but settled on accuracy node of 2960, 180vld hit pressure at 2980fps but accuracy node is 2842).

All I'm getting at is I thought the 'promise' of the 7PRC was 180s at 3000fps but not seeing many land there and most of what I'm seeing is more similar to 280ai performance vs taking a step up.
I loaded some 175 ELD-Xs in the 7 PRC above max with Staball HD and RL 25, and just barely broke 2900fps out of my 22" Proof barrel. It's no thang because I don't have any other 7mms in the stable.

Heres the deal. Compared to say a 7 mag ( stw is not a valid comparison) the saami twist on a 7 prc is 8 versus 9 for the 7 mag. Makes a difference shooting heavy long bullets. Factory rifles are barreled with saami twist almost exclusively. Also the neck is longer relative to case length so long bullets are not seated into powder space.makes a difference. It's made for guys buying factory rifles shooting factory ammo. In short most people. Not the guy who reloads building a custom rifle. In that regard it's an improvement over the 7 mag.
7 rem mag most likely will come in a 1:9.5 or 1:9.25 which very different to a 1:9. May not seem to be a lot, but it is very different.

Does anyone have real world info and not hype unless Im missing something I cant see this cartridge doing more than 7mm rem ,7mm wsm,7mm stw and so on using 175 gr nosler partition just curious
I'm a 28 guy myself but I'm building a 7 PRC just for the sake of doing so. It's probably not much better than a custom 7RM but at the same time it's a longer range outfit that deserves a try. Hornady is kinda used to taking my money so why not give them more.

I'm a 28 guy myself but I'm building a 7 PRC just for the sake of doing so. It's probably not much better than a custom 7RM but at the same time it's a longer range outfit that deserves a try. Hornady is kinda used to taking my money so why not give them more.
I think if I was starting a 7mm build right now I'd chose 7PRC….even as a reloader.

there's all kinds of articles about the prc and capabilities however I watched Randy Selby that answered my question better than anyone's only wished I watched it before this post I invite anyone to to his YouTube vid and watch
My only issue with his video is he is comparing a customer 7 RM to a factory 7 PRC, both rifles and ammo. THAT is the point. Yes, you can rebarrel a 7 RM and hand load to match that faster twist, longer throat, but the PRC has it in factory config. I built a 7SS before the PRC and love it. When the PRC was announced, I was not jumping because my 7SS did everything the PRC did. I made a mistake in my build and the easiest/cheapist fix was to spin on a prefit 7PRC barrel. Once I have the $, I will correct my issue on the 7SS and shoot it.

My only issue with his video is he is comparing a customer 7 RM to a factory 7 PRC, both rifles and ammo. THAT is the point. Yes, you can rebarrel a 7 RM and hand load to match that faster twist, longer throat, but the PRC has it in factory config. I built a 7SS before the PRC and love it. When the PRC was announced, I was not jumping because my 7SS did everything the PRC did. I made a mistake in my build and the easiest/cheapist fix was to spin on a prefit 7PRC barrel. Once I have the $, I will correct my issue on the 7SS and shoot it.
I watched - well listened as I was hanging sheetrock - the video again and did not hear Randy mention anything about 7mm Rem Mag factory gun twist rates vs. the 1:8 of the PRC. I expect that when Randy builds a gun, he designs it with purpose, and those would include faster twist rate barrels in his 7mms. He knows his stuff for sure. But I can't recall him discussing that. Maybe I missed it.

The heavier and longer high BC bullets out of a typical factory PRC rifle, which most non-handloaders would have access to, will be more accurate (stable) and maintain more velocity down-range for proper expansion at distances beyond that of the lighter factory projectiles out of the 7mm Rem Mag. Fuss free.

As a handloader, I like the beltless case of the PRC, allowing me to headspace off the shoulder. I also like the 30 degree shoulder and longer neck, which maintains more burn in the case rather than the barrel throat (with the right powders). I could assume that will lead to longer barrel life - not just better long range accuracy of my handloads. Working up a handload that was on par with the Hornady factory ammo was one of the easiest workups I have ever done. Had I had more than one and a half weeks to develop loads and practice for my elk hunting trip, I would not have used the factory cartridges.

I didn't get the PRC for anything other than its adequacy as an interesting all-around big game cartridge which filled a gap in my moderate to long range lineup. I like it quite a bit. The 7mm Rem Mag is ... well ...." awedinarwee".
MV5BMjAyNzUyNzU3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUzNzcxNw@@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,499,500_AL_-2706024873.jpg

I watched - well listened as I was hanging sheetrock - the video again
This has to be one of the only ways to watch/listen to his videos. Every time I've tried to watch one of his I end up falling asleep or doing something else. He has some interesting things to say, and no doubt he knows a lot, but dang he's boring to listen to. I've often been turned off by his content based on, like others have stated in this thread, his lack of acceptance of improvements to cartridge design.

I watched - well listened as I was hanging sheetrock - the video again and did not hear Randy mention anything about 7mm Rem Mag factory gun twist rates vs. the 1:8 of the PRC. I expect that when Randy builds a gun, he designs it with purpose, and those would include faster twist rate barrels in his 7mms. He knows his stuff for sure. But I can't recall him discussing that. Maybe I missed it.

The heavier and longer high BC bullets out of a typical factory PRC rifle, which most non-handloaders would have access to, will be more accurate (stable) and maintain more velocity down-range for proper expansion at distances beyond that of the lighter factory projectiles out of the 7mm Rem Mag. Fuss free.

As a handloader, I like the beltless case of the PRC, allowing me to headspace off the shoulder. I also like the 30 degree shoulder and longer neck, which maintains more burn in the case rather than the barrel throat (with the right powders). I could assume that will lead to longer barrel life - not just better long range accuracy of my handloads. Working up a handload that was on par with the Hornady factory ammo was one of the easiest workups I have ever done. Had I had more than one and a half weeks to develop loads and practice for my elk hunting trip, I would not have used the factory cartridges.

I didn't get the PRC for anything other than its adequacy as an interesting all-around big game cartridge which filled a gap in my moderate to long range lineup. I like it quite a bit. The 7mm Rem Mag is ... well ...." awedinarwee".
View attachment 509564
Why wouldn't you size/headspace a 7RM off the shoulder ?

DeputyRPA-I screwed up my last message, but I was asking why you wouldn't headspace/size the 7RM off the shoulder?

DeputyRPA-I screwed up my last message, but I was asking why you wouldn't headspace/size the 7RM off the shoulder?
Well I did, and I should have been more accurate in my language. It's less critical with beltless for case life and chambering because there's only one headspace reference point. With my 340 Wby, I ran into bulging and stretching in front of the belt depending on the brass and my headspacing preference off the shoulder. I bought the Willis die to remove bulges.

Has anyone tried 162grian bullets in the prc? Or how light has anyone gone?

I like the wide application of bullets that the 7rm can shoot while on the heavy side loosing velocity and not optimal twist does suffer some.

I like the wide application of bullets that the 7rm can shoot while on the heavy side loosing velocity and not optimal twist does suffer some.

I have personally only shot 175 and 180 grain bullets from my 7 prc, both have proven extremely accurate. But sorry cannot tell you about lighter ones.

I have shot the 162 Gr eld-x bullets while I was fireforming my brass and even with a light load of H1000, it was shooting sub-moa.