7mm PRC problem?

Manson has saami spec reamers now with a slightly larger spec at the 200 datum line. This will have no affect on accuracy. The case headspaces off the shoulder and the throat is the same as saami spec so no issues there.
Do you have spec dimensions concerning this Manson reamer? Would appreciate for future reference.

Start reading.

do you feel that the 7mm prc is in general a more accuate round over the other 7mm magnum rounds.also i have heard that the 28 nosler is a barrel burner and the 180 grain bullets and some 175 grain bullets have to be seated in the powder part of the case.any thoughts on this
Factory ammo at longer distance.... yes 7prc was designed for it.

Custom chamber and barrel twist they are equal.

28 nosler is a barrel burner. But it is also Thors hammer and pure death. Seating bullets into the powder column isn't a "problem".... it just isn't "optimum"

I advise to decide what bullet weight you want and how much energy you want it to arrive with at your max distance.... then work backwards from there.

do you feel that the 7mm prc is in general a more accuate round over the other 7mm magnum rounds.also i have heard that the 28 nosler is a barrel burner and the 180 grain bullets and some 175 grain bullets have to be seated in the powder part of the case.any thoughts on this
7 prc is a accurate round, but most of that has to do with quality components and smith work..28 nosler is definitely a burner..and I'd say in general smaller the round the more consistent, ie 7 Saum is more consistent then 7 prc. 7 prc is more consistent then 28 nosler. They're all great rounds for what they've been designed to do, so it's kinda up to what you want in a cartridge

Do you have spec dimensions concerning this Manson reamer? Would appreciate for future reference.
Email Manson, they're a good company to work with and will send it to you. I have probably a dozen reamers from them and so far so good. They've been my go-to "do stupid things" company, I only use PTG for the "so stupid I need someone to tell me no and they won't" things 🤣

for a deer and elk round for long range work up to the gunwerks ranges of out to 1000 yards if you do your end of it what would be the round that you would use.

The prc's throat design and the case design are superior to the 7 mag. It was designed to shoot long high bc bullets. The 7 mag came out in the late 60's where 160 grain bullets like partition were the thing. Not that you cant build a 7 mag and throat it too shoot the modern bullets but they will still be seated below the case shoulder. The deal with the prc is from a factory rifle factory ammo standpoint the chamber and twist are much better.

The prc's throat design and the case design are superior to the 7 mag.
100% agree.

And even then it's mainly because it's not hamstrung by an existing SAAMI spec and thousands of legacy rifles that it has to remain backwards compatible to. It really doesn't do anything you couldn't make a RM do (or a WM, vis a vis 300 PRC), but it takes the tweaks that have kept those older chambers functioning with new bullet designs and puts them into a SAAMI-spec package that works across the board of manufacturers. Slightly larger case diameter because the belt doesn't do anything, that makes up for the slightly shorter case length which keeps up powder capacity while allowing for a longer bullet/ more bullet projection. There's nothing new under the sun, one day the PRCs will be outdated and it'll be easier to get a new design specified than support all the older rifles out there.

In a way the PRC is really just Hornady's swing at the WSM/SAUM designs Winchester and Remington already did, but with a decade+ of movement towards faster twist rifling added in.

Saying something is an improvement doesn't automatically mean the old stuff isn't still as good as it ever was. Heck I still shoot the 30-06, which is the pinnacle of ballistic design and all-around greatest cartridge ever made.

100% agree.

And even then it's mainly because it's not hamstrung by an existing SAAMI spec and thousands of legacy rifles that it has to remain backwards compatible to. It really doesn't do anything you couldn't make a RM do (or a WM, vis a vis 300 PRC), but it takes the tweaks that have kept those older chambers functioning with new bullet designs and puts them into a SAAMI-spec package that works across the board of manufacturers. Slightly larger case diameter because the belt doesn't do anything, that makes up for the slightly shorter case length which keeps up powder capacity while allowing for a longer bullet/ more bullet projection. There's nothing new under the sun, one day the PRCs will be outdated and it'll be easier to get a new design specified than support all the older rifles out there.

In a way the PRC is really just Hornady's swing at the WSM/SAUM designs Winchester and Remington already did, but with a decade+ of movement towards faster twist rifling added in.

Saying something is an improvement doesn't automatically mean the old stuff isn't still as good as it ever was. Heck I still shoot the 30-06, which is the pinnacle of ballistic design and all-around greatest cartridge ever made.
Haha the 30/06 was the pinnacle of cartridge design in the 1940's lol. But it is a great round.

Recent Posts