7mm PRC problem?

Sorry for the question, but what do you mean by Clicker? I have heard some of you talk about it but I don't know what it means.
Huge thread on it if you search.

One of the reasons the PRC family is so accurate in factory chambers is that at the 0.200 line from the case head the saami chamber is tighter than normal. This makes factory ammo in factory chamberings "more accurate"

The problem that can arise is that after reloading a case a a couple times the web can grow in size.... and it is very hard to size the case down that low and close to the case head..... There is lots of brass to size and dies generally can't size down that low on the case.

So now you reload that case, that has swelled at the case head, and fire it and you get an unexpected spike in pressure.

A Clicker is when you lift the bolt handle and at the top of the bolt lift with primary extraction you have to pop the bolt to reach the top of primary extraction. This is a Clicker.

I had a rifle that on second reloading i got a Clicker but didn't really realize it and the next shot i blew a primer. I was 3 grains under pressure signs.... but the case head had swelled enough to cause the massive pressure spike.

Signs of pressure we have to know...

1. Ejector marks
2. Clickers
3. Stiff bolt lift

When loading ladders i measure the web at the 0.200 mark (around this area... find the widest reading). As you increase your loads the web will expand. This is also an indication in rise in pressure.

Custom rifle makers have made their own reamers... most notably Alex wheeler who has prints at JGS and you can purchase his reamer from them that will correct the Clicker issue.

Last edited:
I really want to build a 7 prc. I have been holding off for this reason. Is there a newer reamer you can use to eliminate this?
I know Alex Wheeler has a reamer to open this area up on a rifle with a saami reamer.

I really want to build a 7 prc. I have been holding off for this reason. Is there a newer reamer you can use to eliminate this?
I know Alex Wheeler has a reamer to open this area up on a rifle with a saami reamer.
Most rifle makers have a reamer that will be "no Clicker" and you can order Alex wheeler reamer from jgs

Manson makes a modified reamer as well for this, it falls between Sammi and the AW reamer. I have one, and each chamber it has cut has no issues to this point with ADG, Peterson and the jeezless Hornady brass.

Huge thread on it if you search.

One of the reasons the PRC family is so accurate in factory chambers is that at the 0.200 line from the case head the saami chamber is tighter than normal. This makes factory ammo in factory chamberings "more accurate"

The problem that can arise is that after reloading a case a a couple times the web can grow in size.... and it is very hard to size the case down that low and close to the case head..... There is lots of brass to size and dies generally can't size down that low on the case.

So now you reload that case, that has swelled at the case head, and fire it and you get an unexpected spike in pressure.

A Clicker is when you lift the bolt handle and at the top of the bolt lift with primary extraction you have to pop the bolt to reach the top of primary extraction. This is a Clicker.

I had a rifle that on second reloading i got a Clicker but didn't really realize it and the next shot i blew a primer. I was 3 grains under pressure signs.... but the case head had swelled enough to cause the massive pressure spike.

Signs of pressure we have to know...

1. Ejector marks
2. Clickers
3. Stiff bolt lift

When loading ladders i measure the web at the 0.200 mark (around this area... find the widest reading). As you increase your loads the web will expand. This is also an indication in rise in pressure.

Custom rifle makers have made their own reamers... most notably Alex wheeler who has prints at JGS and you can purchase his reamer from them that will correct the Clicker issue.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Good to know.
Randy

I'm using hornady . I.ve used hornady and adg brass and haven't had any clickers . Even with hornadys hot factoty loads blew primers but still could open bolt.
How many reloads do you have on the brass? Are these loads at or close to pressure? What I'm starting to understand is that it takes around four reloads some less to go above the elasticity of the brass metal that causes the brass to stick and click loose. This issue from what I hear comes from using thicker brass like ADGor possibly Peterson.The other question is when brass has lost elasticity and hardened will a die have issues trying to compress it down enough at the base and shoulder to get it to chamber properly and not have the dreaded click occur or reoccur? How much is to much on chamber dimensions at the .200 line? I'm also seeking for all information from members concerning the 7prc to be able to spec out a reamer other than stated saami specs if need be. Thanks to the OP on asking on the 7prc, I have touched base on this but all I hear is crickets. Respectfully!

How many reloads do you have on the brass? Are these loads at or close to pressure? What I'm starting to understand is that it takes around four reloads some less to go above the elasticity of the brass metal that causes the brass to stick and click loose. This issue from what I hear comes from using thicker brass like ADGor possibly Peterson.The other question is when brass has lost elasticity and hardened will a die have issues trying to compress it down enough at the base and shoulder to get it to chamber properly and not have the dreaded click occur or reoccur? How much is too much on chamber dimensions at the .200 line? I'm also seeking for all information from members concerning the 7prc to be able to spec out a reamer other than stated saami specs if need be. Thanks to the OP on asking on the 7prc, I have touched base on this but all I hear is crickets. Respectfully!
I too wonder what opening the chamber has impact to accuracy? For the average hunter, I'd assume it's a non factor?

If you plan to mainly shoot factory is there reason to go with an alternative reamer?

Last edited:
I too wonder what opening the chamber has impact to accuracy? For the average hunter, I'd assume it's a no factor?

If you plan to mainly shoot factory is there reason to go with an alternative reamer?
Probably not for the average hunter? but most people on this site are seeking information on shooting plus yardage which leans toward tight groups when taking game a long distances not just throwing lead a Hail Mary scenario. At the range last week I watched a shooter with a new Fierce rifle using factor rounds hitting 3 1/2 high and low groups at a 100. He was getting ready to go on a mule deer hunt. What can one expect the outcome on a 300 plus yard shot be? This being a saami speced chamber it does make me also to wonder what would an opened up chamber effect would have on accuracy? There are some that have stated that they are using chambers reamed to more open specs other than Saami on this site,what have been their experiences concerning accuracy,concerning resizing ? Again, I'm asking for more information concerning this cartridge. I just ordered 200 Adg 7prc brass cartridges to go with a Bartlein barrel for a build. Information before I spec out a reamer or just do a saami chamber would be more than welcomed.

Manson has saami spec reamers now with a slightly larger spec at the 200 datum line. This will have no affect on accuracy. The case headspaces off the shoulder and the throat is the same as saami spec so no issues there.

do you feel that the 7mm prc is in general a more accuate round over the other 7mm magnum rounds.also i have heard that the 28 nosler is a barrel burner and the 180 grain bullets and some 175 grain bullets have to be seated in the powder part of the case.any thoughts on this

Recent Posts