7MM - Need to make a choice

So you finally got brave enough to say something... but of course you didn't answer my question... as usual

Who called you a liar and please show us your ref...

...and are you going to pay for a new barrel for the OP if he doesn't get what you're telling him he will get? Put your $$$ where your mouth is...
I said I pretty much got called one. Didn't say it was ever blatently said.

Once again, who's to say someone treats the barrel 100% proper to achieve maximum round count, or just wants a new one so they burn that one down? Sorry, I'm not a very trusting person when it comes to my money in someone else's hands. Like I said, I can burn a magnum barrel in 150 rounds IF I really wanted to. It's not hard to do. So why would I put my money in someone else's hands, that I don't know, and get nothing in return? Everything in our sport is taking a risk. And you could take 2 identical barrels shot identically for idential round counts with identical loads, and they won't wear out at the same exact time... Nothing man-made is perfect and 100% guaranteed. Plus, knowing my luck, he'd get a bad one and burn it out.

Let's turn the tables a minute.......Why don't you "put your money where you mouth is" and bet Lefty that he can't make one last 1,500 rounds? Since you are so self-assured that they won't possibly. I would say bet me, but I don't make much money, so I can't afford to shoot that many rounds very quickly...I have other bills that are more important than worrying about proving a point. :cool:

Same exact reason why I won't guarantee the OP anything. Too many extra factors playing into things.

Like I said before, everyone I've ever talked to that had an STW for any extended length that did alot of shooting said they should last 1,500 rounds. But what do I know...I've only studied the cartridge and had mine for 11 years, and I still haven't shot it out. Not to mention, Lefty's rifle got 1,500 rounds on one of his STW barrels. He's never lied to me before. What do I have to disprove it, other than people's opinions and experiences. Everyone has different ones, that's what makes the world go round.

I said I pretty much got called one. Didn't say it was ever blatently said.

This is exactly what you said... for the 2nd time

I've been called a liar saying the STW can get 1500 rounds of barrel life...

Not only do you have a problem with reading comprehension, but you also have a memory problem. I said nothing even close to you being a liar.

I'm not going to bet Lefty didly.... It has nothing to do with "assuring" the OP of long barrel life (1500 rounds) in an STW.

So just for the record, I would like you to tell the OP what he can resonably expect in the way of barrel life shooting an STW @ 65K psi under "normal" condidtions.

Watch it with the personal attacks. I don't personal attack you, so I expect at minimum atleast that much respect.

I'm not even going to dignify the rest of that bullcrap with a response. I'm really tired of being singled-out, especially since I didn't even rattle your chain this time. Lefty did.

Also, I never said YOU called me a liar either.

Now, argue with yourself, I have nothing to prove.

Yeah... I would say it's irresponsible to tell someone to expect an an unusually high barrel life from an overbore cartridge like the 7 STW.

As mentioned, I burned up a 7 RM barrel in a little over a 1000 rounds. about 300 of those were factory. The rest were from various loads I worked up from 110 gr bullets to 175 gr bullets. My pet load was 160 Partitions over a charge of IMR 4831 that pushed about 3000 out of a 24" barrel. A little warm, but not extreme. When my barrel burned out I started a thread in another shooting forum asking what the life expectancy was for a 7 RM. Average responses were about 1000 - 1200 rounds. That was quite a few years ago and what I've read since then is pretty much the same.

Let me ask you a couple of questions....

What are the factors in barrel life?

Light bullets vs heavy bullets?
Fast powders vs slow powders?
Rate of fire?
Heat and Pressure, i.e., hot load vs moderate load?
Case capacity?
Shoulder angle?
Length of neck?

So lets assume the 1st four being equal, Why would a 7 STW with the same shoulder angle and neck and about 12% more case capacity as the 7 RM, get 50% more barrel life? Is there some witch doctor waving a stick with a shrunken head on it, over the STW's?

Are you saying that an STW will get more barrel life on average than a 7 RM? or even a 7-300 WM which has a little less capacity than the STW and a longer neck?

One of the earlier posters here said he was getting 300-500 rounds of barrel life out of his 7 RUMs which has about 15% more capacity and a sharper shoulder and longer neck than the STW. The STW falls right between the 7 RUM and 7 RM. The average I hear most often for the RUM is about 500, which is why I shy'd away from it. I would just love to have a 7 RUM. But when you figue about $1.30 every time you pull the trigger just for the barrel on top of bullets, brass and powder... that adds up.

A couple of more questions...

Since you are so optimistic about the 7 STW barrel life are you willing to...

Guarantee the OP that he will get 1500 of good accuracy out of an STW should he choose it?

Are you willing to back up your guarantee by paying the $600-$700 it is going to cost him for a new barrel? Not to mention the PITA to ship his rifle and down time, etc.

So either walk it back or put your $$$ where your mouth is bub...

It's easy to spend someone else's $$$ on the internet...
what a fool... to the ignore list you go....

Back on track...

Let's do a little mathematical comparison using the 7 STW. 300 RUM and 308 Win

Both the 300 RUM and 308 Win have the same bore cross section area of .074 sq inches. They have 107.2 and 55.8 gr of water capacity each, respectively.

The 7 STW has a bore cross section of .063 square inches and 92.7 gr of water capacity.

If we divide the capacity by the area of these cartridges for a relative "overbore" comparison we get the following...

308 Win, 749
300 RUM, 1440
7 STW, 1464

The higher the number, the more "overbore" the cartridge.

If you were to ask the question, "how much barrel life could one expect from the 300 RUM" in this forum, the most common answer will probably be about 1000 of good accuracy if you take good care of it. That question has been asked a number of times and to the best of my memory, 1000 was the most common answer.

Now there are some other factors to consider as far as throat wear is concerned. Assuming shooting the same pressures, rate of fire, etc., the the angle of the shoulder and length of neck will have an effect on throat wear. The sharper the shoulder and longer the neck in proportion to its diameter, the slower the rate of throat erosion.

The RUM has about the same length of neck proportionally as the STW, however the RUM has a sharper shoulder of 30* vs 25* for the STW. A slight difference.

If we accept that 1000 rounds of barrel life out of the RUM, then it would be reasonable to expect a slightly less number of rounds out of the STW based on overbore factor and shoulder design. This is also consistent with what I experienced with my 7 RM.

There are no hard and fast rules... every barrel is different and there are always exceptions to the rule - like my 25-06 which shot amazingly well after the tube was long since fried. Had to clean the **** out of it now and then, but it shot very well.

The bottom line is the magnums are overbore throat eaters and the more powder, fire and pressure you force through the throat, the faster it is going to burn. That is the price of speed. Always has been and always will be. No free lunch.

I would go with the 7mm stw other then better brass is expessive . 7mm rem mag good to . I got 7mm rem mag and 7mm stw . I use the the stw for longrange and my 7mm rem mag for closer range and brush gun

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.