7mm mag vs 7wsm

born2kill

Which would you go with if you were rechambering a remington 700 long action with magnum bolt face and why? It seems the 7 wsm is super popular amongst the long range crowd. Trying to figure out why?

Because ive loaded for both, had better results and 99% of my experience with a 7mm, its what I would choose. Not fact based, just my preference. It seems the 7mm can get more velocity, but at those speeds, does it really make a huge difference?

There is no appreciable benefit with the 7 WSM. I run both and they are both at the same level of performance. I can push the 7RM a bit harder because of the way I have it set up. Some don't like the 7RM because it runs a belted case. I, however, have never had any issues with my belted cases. The biggest benefit for me with the 7RM is brass selection. The Winchester 7WSM brass just plain sucks and right now, unless you want to do some necking work to get quality brass, the Win brass is all you'll get.

My hot button would be which of the two would require the least amount of tweaking to the action. If the action was previously a 7mm RM, then it may need to be tweaked to get the fatter WSM case to feed. How about case capacity....the 700 would hold three 7mm r mag cases, but maybe only two wsm cases.

....because...the two are almost balistic twins.

Which would you go with if you were rechambering a remington 700 long action with magnum bolt face and why? It seems the 7 wsm is super popular amongst the long range crowd. Trying to figure out why?
7mm Rem. You already have everything you need and I just like it.

the 7wsm is almost identical in performance and the case many think is more efficient resulting in a little better barrel life, but I'd still go with the original.

An alternative well worth considering though would be either the 7mm LRM or 7mm STW. The 7mm Dakota should be considered as well.

Personally I stick with what works, the 7mm Rem and 7mm STW.

7x300win or 7stw. A 7rem is a good cal. but you can't push it to what the stw can do without getting dangerous. The stw can easily be downloaded to 7rem speeds and you can make brass from any full length belted in situations where you can't find good stw brass. The 7x300 win is nearly as good as the stw performance wise and it's a quick trip through the sizer for any good 300win case to become a 7x300.
I'd hesitate on the 7wsm, besides the feed rail work you'll likely need the cal. doesn't have enough following for anyone but win to play the brass game, and many of us aren't liking recent winchester brass. I was a win brass fan until I got new 270's with the pockets so shallow I couldn't even flush seat a win primer until I cut the pockets. That is a joke when you only have a hand tool for uniforming.

I own both and as much as I want my RM to hold my interest the WSM is rooting it's nose in my heart like a puppy wanting attention. The dang thing has a shorter barrel, lighter overall gun, just as accurate and I just can't get over the short action reload on game that needs a follow up shot. I never expected to notice, but it's a nice change. Sad thing is I can load 160gr bullets 150fps faster with the WSM before pressure signs. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.