7mm mag and 150 Nos Bal Tip

I bet you guys like the 7mag as much as I do, or is it love? I love this Calibre so much my Brother
and I are starting on a M40A5 with a McMillen stock, Broghton heavy Barreled laser rifle.
The brother just picked up a 6.5X20X50 MARK 4 ER/T LEUPOLD. as soon as the Barrel comes in we can start.(it could be a month or more).

I handload for lots of rifles that can be used to shoot a deer: 19 Badger,.222, .223, 22-250, 6mmBR, .243, 25/35, 250/3000, 257 Robert Ackley Improved, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav, 7.62x39mm, 308, 7.5Swiss, 30-06, 300WM, 303Brit,7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, 44mag, 45acp, 45Colt, and 45/70.

I find that for me long range hunting, the 7mmRemMag is the best.

The 270 is about as good for the ranges that I have been shooting, but I am trying to improve, and the 7mmRemMag has the power at long range so I can improve.

KC, I do love the 7mag. It's a great caliber and I've killed a lot of game with it. My favorite is the 270 for most of my hunting, however.

To all,
Thanks for all your positive feed back and making the new guy feel welcome, it has confirmed that I have made a good choice with the 7mag and the Nos Bal Tip. I am looking forward to getting into some load testing as soon as time allows (hope fully next week) just in time for my next hog and goat hunt at the end of the month (yehaaah).

About five years ago SHOTING TIMES Magazine had an artical called the The Three Kings.
Take a wild guess what they were.
7MM MAG.
What can go wrong with these calabres? they can kill every big game animals in the US.
Even Elk. Moose. Bear and Deer. Yes even the mighty Moose has fallen by the .270, My old friend has hunted all over Ontario and has never lost a bull. His brother works at Ft Mcmurry at the tar sands of Alberta Canada and has killed a **** pile of Elk for guys who only had a tag, but had no time so Jimmy filld them.

He has broke the law. it's not recomended.

In my life I have had (2) 308win, (1) 3006, (2) 3030 (1 was a hand gun), 2 44mag (1 was a hand gun), a 300 winmag and a 7mm rem mag.
All of wich are excellant within their limitations.
My absolute fav is a Savage 111 in 7mm rem mag it has a burris fullfeild II, 3 to 9 x40mm scope, a recoil suppessor in the butt and I have got the trigger pull down to 4 pounds. I am thinking of putting a rifflebasixs SAV-1 trigger in it.
You can hunt anything in North America with 7mm rem mag. And the 150 grn is a great all around bullet weight.
My hunting loads are full length sized 150 grn E tips with imr 7828 mag primer and seated to 3.290 inches over all length, these bullets I lightly crimp.
My plinking loads are neck sized 140 grn sp with imr 3031 std primer and the bullets are placed in the neck way out there, how far out there, so far that the bullet is finished seating as the bolt is closed (right up to the rifleing) these bullets are not crimped.
I really enjoy shooting my 7mm, usually 200 rnds a year. If I had my own range I would obviously shoot more.

I have shot over 1000 rounds loaded with the 150 bal tip, and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have had great results with imr 4350, winchester brass and federal primers both 210's and 215's. I have two Ruger m77's, and they will both shoot 3115-3140 for speeds with 65 grains. Both guns consistently shoot sub one inch groups. I did try the Berger 168's and couldn't get a group under 2.5 inches. Even after seating them close to the lands. So back to the noslers I went. I am however going to switch to the hogdon extreme powders. They are buy far supreme for long distance shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.