7mm berger bullet choice

Working on a 7 SAUM build and wondering what everyone prefers for bullets. Will be loaded in a long action so length is not a concern. I am partial to bergers. The 215 hybrid and 156 elite have worked wonders for me in the past. I think i have it narrowed down to the 175 elite hunter or the 180 hybrid. What do you guys think?
I've shot both in my 7mm proof 26" 8.4

Negligible accuracy difference with slight edge to the 180 hybrid if I had to chose. On game with the 175 elite So Tx buck at 80 yds drt and large Axis at 60 yds ran 30 yds. Neither bullet exited lungs were jellied. Buddy shoots the 180 hybrid in a 28 Nosler hunts sheep and had great success with them.

I have a 7 SAUM on a short action. Shot the 162 eldm well at about 2975. couldn't get the 180 eldm in a short and hit the velocity I wanted (slow with a lot of bearing surface so 2780 ish) I also tried 168 vld was ok, But the 175 EOL are excellent at 2950 ish with H1000 or RL 23. I have not found RL 26 in years so can't say to it's performance. I like shorter rifles so SA w/24" barrel

Personally on a long action why go SAUM? The 7 WSM will definitely out perform it and allow you to go 180 eldm or 195 Eol easy. Or even go 28 Nos to use your full potential of long action....

Have you looked at the 184 Hybrids? A little better form factor than 175s or 180s. Shouldn't have any problem running them in a long action. I'm planning to run them in my new 280ai with RL26. I would like to see some on game reports but I would imagine they'll work just like 180s.

I have a 7 SAUM on a short action. Shot the 162 eldm well at about 2975. couldn't get the 180 eldm in a short and hit the velocity I wanted (slow with a lot of bearing surface so 2780 ish) I also tried 168 vld was ok, But the 175 EOL are excellent at 2950 ish with H1000 or RL 23. I have not found RL 26 in years so can't say to it's performance. I like shorter rifles so SA w/24" barrel

Personally on a long action why go SAUM? The 7 WSM will definitely out perform it and allow you to go 180 eldm or 195 Eol easy. Or even go 28 Nos to use your full potential of long action....
I think the SAUM hits a sweet spot between my 6.5-284 and 300 win mag and I just think it is a cool case that will be easy to load for. Not looking for all out performance and not a fan of the 28 nosler. Want something easy to shoot and load for with minimal recoil that does well out of a short barrel - 22". Also hate being restricted by action length.

Have you looked at the 184 Hybrids? A little better form factor than 175s or 180s. Shouldn't have any problem running them in a long action. I'm planning to run them in my new 280ai with RL26. I would like to see some on game reports but I would imagine they'll work just like 180s.
I have been looking at those a little bit since I posted this. At first I didn't even consider them because I thought they had similar tips to the LRHT that are not quite as open so I figured they wouldn't perform on game. After looking some more it looks like they have the same open tips and void as the normal hybrids so I may consider them as well.

I just built a light weight 7 SAUM, 24" Bartlein 2B, 1-8.7 twist likes both the 175 EH and 180 Hyb. I did a quick test with RL26 and H1000 and my rifle liked the H1000 better. The 175s are going 2900 fps and the 180s are going 2895 fps.

The 180s were devastating on my Oklahoma whitetail management hunt @ 100 yards. Bang, flop.

Ya they have the standard tip and a nice long void before the lead. Don't remember that measurement off the top of my head but a lot of people think the long void behind the tip on the 215 Hybrid contributes to its well regarded performance on game.

I am biased towards the 168 Classic Hunter over H 1000. Haven't tried the heavier ones because this one performs so well.
PS: if there had not been a gusting cross wind this would have been a better group.
7 Bean :200.jpg

Working on a 7 SAUM build and wondering what everyone prefers for bullets. Will be loaded in a long action so length is not a concern. I am partial to bergers. The 215 hybrid and 156 elite have worked wonders for me in the past. I think i have it narrowed down to the 175 elite hunter or the 180 hybrid. What do you guys think?
Try 184 And 195 too ... I really like the 175 elite a lot

I use the 180 VLD in my 7 SAUM at 2900 fps. The list of animals following was from my trip to Africa last year and their results:
On to the point of this post. 16 animals of assorted sizes were taken with my SAUM and the 180 gr bullet's. They are as follows:
1) Cape eland cow at 469 yards. Hit slightly further back than wanted. Down and dead quickly.
2)Cape eland bull at 511 yds. Heart shot. Dead in less than 20 yds. Pretty impressive.
3)Springbock at 175-200 yds. Broadside shot slightly back and high. Down in its tracks.
4)Duiker spotlighted at maybe 40 yds quartering to me. High shoulder down in his tracks.
5)Vaal Rhebuck at 313 yds. Hit way back top of back. Spine hit. Down in his tracks.
6) Klipspringer at 269 yds. A little far back and high. Down and done in place.
7)Blesbuck cow at 130 yds? Back a little and a little high. Down immediately with no fuss.
8) Bull Livingston eland. Huge animal. 75 yds. First hit was high shoulder. Sraggered him. Went perhaps 75 yds and He appeared to be staggering when I hit him again up high mid body which put him down.
9)Hartebeest cow at 200 yds. Quartering slightly to me. Hit mid way up behind the shoulder. Went 40-50 yds.
10)2nd Hartebeest cow. Broadside at 80-90 yds. Hit behind shoulder. Went 30 yds or so.
11)Hartebeest bull at 150-170 yds quartering to me. Low shoulder into the heart. Went maybe 60 yds.
12) Bushbuck at 200 yds or a little more. Hit a little high behind the shoulder. Went perhaps 30 yds.
Mike used my rifle in Zambia instead of the camp rifle. His results:
1)Waterbuck at 150 yds broadside. Hit behind shoulder. Went about 70 yds.
2)Puku at 80-90 yds perhaps. Quartering hard away. Hit in front of hind quarter lining up on far shoulder. Went about 40 yds.
3)Bushbuck at 120 yds. Broadside. Behind shoulder. Went 25 yds.
4)Lechwe at 230 yds. Behind shoulder half way up. Down in its tracks. Kicked twice.

Pretty dang good feedback on all bullets. Guess I will flip a coin... the new 184 has me interested now too. Most guys prefer the good ole standby H1000... but I have been hoarding RL-26, N565, and N570 as they seem to produce the best velocities for me in the cartridges I shoot (6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, 300 win mag) any body have good starting points for these powders?

The Elite hunter should have the thinner hunting jacket, so that would be my choice for a Deer rifle. 180's would be my choice for Elk.

The Elite hunter should have the thinner hunting jacket, so that would be my choice for a Deer rifle. 180's would be my choice for Elk.
That was sort of my thoughts too... it will be for 80% deer but it usually works out that my shots are less than 500 yards. Most are under 300. last year was 75! So I wonder if the thicker jacket may be better with the higher velocity impacts that will be more common

Pretty dang good feedback on all bullets. Guess I will flip a coin... the new 184 has me interested now too. Most guys prefer the good ole standby H1000... but I have been hoarding RL-26, N565, and N570 as they seem to produce the best velocities for me in the cartridges I shoot (6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, 300 win mag) any body have good starting points for these powders?
Hoarding RL 26 is a great idea also. Here is a 200 yard RL 26 group.
7Bean:RL26.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.