7mm 423 dakota wildcat

I don't know for 338 Norma. Using 300 Norma brass in my 30-338 Norma Imp I bought a .335 and .336 bushing. I would bet you could add .030 to that (.338"-.308"= .030') and be good. So .365 and .366". My loaded rounds are .338-.3385 and my chamber is .341" so with the brass spring back I don't even need to size the necks. The neck OD after firing runs .335 to .336.

I finally got jlc precision to modify my 338 Norma die for bushings. He made two tapered bushings for me. The first bushing brings it down to about .403 outside neck diameter and the second was a tapered .368 bushing. How far down are you neck turning these cases ... the 423 case has a longer neck than the Norma I believe? My thought was to get a .408 expander and turning mandrel and neck turn after using the first bushing. Turn the necks to .015 at that point and size the rest of the way down. Thoughts? Thanks

It will grow a bit going down the next step so it depends on what your chamber dimensions are. I would bet if you turn them to .015 they will be .0155 to .016 when you neck them down all the way. I would buy the stuff to turn them at .338 caliber as well in case you need to take a bit more off. The 423 Necks are a bit longer.

I should have mentioned I attempted to neck turn after getting it down to 338 with the .368 bushing. I ran it through a 338 expander mandrel which was tough and attempted to turn the necks but the case would not go on the 338 turning mandrel. Tried to expand it a couple more times and it still wouldn't go on the turning mandrel. That is why I thought I should turn the necks earlier in the necking down process. Is there too much neck tension or spring back here? I'm sure there is a simple solution that I'm overlooking here. :rolleyes: I haven't purchased the reamer yet, trying to see if I could get this brass to work first. (New to this wildcat stuff and neck turning in general, just started neck turning for a 6.5 saum) Had a 338 Norma reamer on order but there seemed to be confusion about the reamer specs and ptg called it a 338 usa? So I'm probably doing things backwards but in the end it seems to work out. Anyone have match reamer specs for the 338 Norma?. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.