7mm 1000yrd load???

kyle4389

I just bought a ruger m77 7mm 26"heavy barrel, and am planning on using it as a 1000 competition shooter...I'm wondering what the best load would work?

Most people are going to rely on BC to determine what bullet and therefore what load to use in the rifle. I will recommend to match a good BC bullet to the twist rate of the barrel. If you have a 1 in 9 then the 180 Berger is a good candidate with the 168 gr as a 2nd choice. The new 175 gr Accubond is worth looking at and I have not found a 7mm that did not like the Barnes Lrx lineup, especially if the barrel is freebored. Powder selection is wide. a faster powder like the 4350 lineup will give the very best in accuracy but will give up velocity compared to Retumbo, 7828 etc. I have found 4831 to be a good compromise. Primers really amount to the 215m and the win mag. I really like the Norma brass with Nosler brass a close 2nd. If your playing with a 1 in 9.5 twist then the shorter bullets like the 140gr Berger and Barnes will work better. Play with this and you will be shooting one hole groups shortly. This is assuming that your referring to a 7mm Rem :rolleyes:. Have a great time with one of the best calibers ever.

What 7mm did you get?

I worked up a load for my 7mag with 180gr Berger Hybrid. I like it, 2x I've taken it out shooting Pdogs out to 450+ with 10-20mph winds. It makes it seem.....well not all that tough. When your really stuggling to connect at 400-450yrds with a 22-250 cause the wind has it's way with those little pills, that long ol spear makes a huge difference.gun)

It doesn't hurt that the 180gr load ended up being faster than the 168gr load I have also.

for bullets- 168 berger, 162 amax, or 180 berger. primers 9.5m , 250 or wlrm. for powders. h-1000 to start.

My friend has the same gun, but it has the tapered sporter style barrel.
He loaded Berger hvld 168 with 66.3 gr of IMR 4831 with F215 primers and it shoots 8.75 at 1000yrds. Im not sure the twist of the barrel. But IMR4831 has been a very accurate and stable powder for several of our magnum rifles.
Jester

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.