7MM-08 from 308 or 260?

mtnrunner260

Hello,
I just ordered a savage 7 mm-08 for my wife & for some reason can't find brass. :D
I understand I can use 308 or rem 260 right?
Do I need another die for a misstep process or can I just run either through the 08 die and go from there?

Thank you for helping me out. I've reloaded for a couple years but never tried something like this.

If you have a full-length 7mm-08 sizing die you can lube up and run your .308 brass through it, and it will become 7mm-08 brass. Have you checked Midway USA to see if they have any 7mm-08 brass? But once you resize them, I'd use a neck-sizer die after that to keep them fire-formed to your chamber for improved accuracy.

Thanks Mudrunner.
Midway is out and have checked a few places as well. Got a couple weeks till rifle ships in so will keep checking.
Seems to be some loaded 7-08 stuff around online and locally. Would it be better to just buy that instead of 308?
-I know I can get 308 from a couple friends.
Thanks

Thanks Mudrunner.
Midway is out and have checked a few places as well. Got a couple weeks till rifle ships in so will keep checking.
Seems to be some loaded 7-08 stuff around online and locally. Would it be better to just buy that instead of 308?
-I know I can get 308 from a couple friends.
Thanks

I would do that, and just order you a neck-sizer die set, and skip the whole re-sizing process. I'm OCD, so I prefer to have matching headstamps and correct caliber headstamps. But that's just me.

Nosler makes great stuff just to get their brass. Federal Premium is good stuff. Even cheap Hornady is good if you're mainly after the brass. I use Hornady Match for .308 load development so I don't waste shots on my good Lapua brass.

Back when I had a 7-08 I just ran 308 cases through a rcbs fl die set and loaded 'em as 7-08. I didn't buy true 7-08 brass as the lgs thought it was worth more. Didn't make a dang bit of difference.

I'm with Mudrunner in preferring correct headstamp. 7-08 brass is fairly common, even with the run on all things components. I've seen a few postings here and on some other sites over the last week or so. Try this link to search multiple gun classifieds:

Elite Deal Seeker

your best bet would be to use necked up .260 brass and fire form. The .308 case is slightly shorter, but probably would get you by OK (also easier to come by).
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.