7mag reload help for a 22" barrel

kraig

My son shoots and reloads for a 7mag out of a 28" barrel. I happened across an aftermarket barrel for $150 but it is only 22 inches long and a 1:9 twist 7mag. Thought for that price it would be fun to shoot just for the heck of it. Would love to use it to ding the gong at 1750 w/my son but not even sure where to start reloading. I'd love to use a powder that doesn't launch a fireball each shot as I expect Retumbo or RL26 would.

Any real data on 24" or shorter reloads would be helpful. I'll look them up in the reload books but its hard to know when shooting shorter barrels than what are tested with commonly.

I already have RamShot Magnum, 4831, Retumbo (but running out) but I'm willing to go buy powders for fun.

BTW: Has anyone been able to find Retumbo lately? Seems like it is all gone everywhere online.

I had 22" and 24" proof CF barrel in 9 twist. I used H1000 and 180 Berger Hybrids. I was running a Ultra 9 on mine as to why I did a 22". I was getting mid 2900s. Usually with the 180 class bullets usually find magic between 69-71 realm but of coarse start lighter. Never tried Retubmo in it but I would assume it would work also.

I had 22" and 24" proof CF barrel in 9 twist. I used H1000 and 180 Berger Hybrids. I was running a Ultra 9 on mine as to why I did a 22". I was getting mid 2900s. Usually with the 180 class bullets usually find magic between 69-71 realm but of coarse start lighter. Never tried Retubmo in it but I would assume it would work also.

Looks like I can at least find H1000 to try it out. I have Berger 180s and to put your mind to peace I already looked up the load info to start with...
Hodgdon H1000 .284" 3.290"
Min: 63.2 / 2,605 / 46,000 PSI
Max: 69.5C / 2,884 / 60,000 PSI

What brand of brass are you running to get 71g in or are you just running a compressed load. (guess it depends on how far out your seating the bullet)

Also looks like my left over magnum powder is between H1000 and Retumbo on the burn rate so I might just open that up and see. My favorite thing about Retumbo so far is that it has very little variance FPS with temperature changes from 25deg - 90deg. I live in GA so its hard to test at colder temps.

Yeah man them compressed loads listed in books are normally stupid short coal. All the 7 RM I have had were built just for 180 bergers at AI 300 win mag length so u will hit pressure way way before u are going to get compressed. I have run Norma and Nosler. Tried RWS brass which is great also but man that stuff is thick so u have to start good bit lower.

I have a friend that has shot more than I could pay for--his rifle of choice was a 22" 7mm rem mag made by a local gunsmith now passed away. His load of choice was 175 grain grand slam bullet over 64.5 grains of IMR-7828 he said it was just a shade under 2800 fps...He took a lot of Wild sheep, goats, trophy mule deer, coues deer, bear, moose, African game with that combo.

Listening to his stories made me build my modern rendition of it in a 7 SAUM... 22 in barrel and everything.

I have tried many powders in 7 Rem Mag with a 24" barrel, never had a 22". Always end up going back to 4831 SC. Loads easy, doesn't compress, good vel and accuracy and temp stable at -40 to +30. Have worn out a few barrels using 4831 but have got very good barrel life using 162 grain bullets at about 3100 fps.

I have tried many powders in 7 Rem Mag with a 24" barrel, never had a 22". Always end up going back to 4831 SC. Loads easy, doesn't compress, good vel and accuracy and temp stable at -40 to +30. Have worn out a few barrels using 4831 but have got very good barrel life using 162 grain bullets at about 3100 fps.

I have plenty of 4831 on hand from my 25-06 & 6.5-06 so I can definitely give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

So what kind of barrel life are you talking is "good" for a 7mag. I'm guessing since I don't usually shoot more than 1-2 shots before letting the barrel cool a bit and I'm not planning on loading as hot as possible I should get better than average life.

I have plenty of 4831 on hand from my 25-06 & 6.5-06 so I can definitely give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

So what kind of barrel life are you talking is "good" for a 7mag. I'm guessing since I don't usually shoot more than 1-2 shots before letting the barrel cool a bit and I'm not planning on loading as hot as possible I should get better than average life.

I load mine pretty stout as I have always been able to get good accuracy at close to max loads. In a 7 Rem Mag I call anything over 2500 rounds good barrel life. I had one go 3400 and a couple of others about 3100 before I had to re-barrel them.

I run a 22" 1:9 Benchmark in 7RM w/ a can. 168gr Berger in front of 69gr Retumbo=3024 fps. Absolutely fantastic, however it goes trans-sonic @1300. In order to get to 1750 reliably you'd need a 1:7.5 and run something like the 180gr ELD-M at ~3000fps. With a 22" you'll probably be around 2850 and you'll go trans-sonic at ~1500.

My son shoots and reloads for a 7mag out of a 28" barrel. I happened across an aftermarket barrel for $150 but it is only 22 inches long and a 1:9 twist 7mag. Thought for that price it would be fun to shoot just for the heck of it. Would love to use it to ding the gong at 1750 w/my son but not even sure where to start reloading. I'd love to use a powder that doesn't launch a fireball each shot as I expect Retumbo or RL26 would.

Any real data on 24" or shorter reloads would be helpful. I'll look them up in the reload books but its hard to know when shooting shorter barrels than what are tested with commonly.

I already have RamShot Magnum, 4831, Retumbo (but running out) but I'm willing to go buy powders for fun.

BTW: Has anyone been able to find Retumbo lately? Seems like it is all gone everywhere online.
Picked up 8lb jug from Sportsman Warehouse in Slidell,La

7828/7828 SSC is a great powder in the 7mmRM. IMR 7977 has shown extremely low ES & SD numbers in extreme heat and humidity, from my testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.