788 rem. 243

Tnwhip

I just acquired a 70s something model 788 in 243 from a friend. Back in the late 70s my first deer rifle was a 788 in 308. It was OK but I was not that crazy about it so I sold it to another friend, that still has it. I pillow bedded 243 last year for my friend, I don't think he ever shot it after I did the work. It was a safe queen, It probably has less than 150 rounds through it. I have some 65g, 70g, 80g, 85g,95g and 100g bullets to try. I would rather shoot the lighter bullets. I will just shoot crows and coyotes with it. Not sure if it has a 1n9 or 1n10 twist. Well it will give me something to do this summer. I hope I can get it to shooting good. The 308 just shot so so, but I never reloaded for it. What I have read,most 788s were good shooters.

Bought my 788 in 308 back in 1982 and it is still my go to deer rifle. I see now Timney makes a trigger for it and would like to put a Boyd's laminated stock on it since it has been good to me all these years. Federal 150 gr Fusions shoot best out of mine. It has an 18.5" barrel.

Had one in 22/250 many moons ago, maybe 67/68, hard to remember exactly after 50 years, had a Weaver T-16 target dot scope on her...it shot awesome groups and killed a ton of groundhog with that little rifle. The trigger was ruff and being a high school student didn't have much to work with, not even sure anyone even made trigger for it then..I considered it my first bench rest rifle, crazy thought but it shot 1/2 groups all day long with Norma 202 and Sierra hpbt's, used a neck die, belding/mull straight line seater..killed one helluva pile of groundhogs, crows and general small game with it...haven't thought about it for decades...nostalgia trip !!

I bedded a 788 in 22-250 for a friend last year. It looks like it just came out of the box new. Obvious strange bolt lugs, but it shot very well so far. He says it'll be a safe queen till he dies.

"An oldie, but a goodie". I remember when they first came out, the price was crazy low, so I bought one in 6mm and one in .243. Many a coyote fell to those rifles. Cheap looking, but very accurate.

Had one years ago that I took the barrel off and put a Hart 20 inch 7/08 med. heavy contour barrel on, with a Timney trigger, Glass bedded and with a 160 gr Sierra BT bullet it was a tack driver and deer killing machine. Sold it to a friend that just got out of the Marines and he still hunts with it and rubs it in what a good rifle he has. LOL Thats what friends are for. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.