775 Yd. Coyote Just Yesterday!

Hey guys thks again-- DD-- Kirby's definitely 1 of the GO-TO-MEN for this LR stuff here these days. ALL i did for prep work on this dog was check vel., zero, and apply Exbal for long-range comeup calcs. My buddy Jim did all the reloading so far with it.

Hey Roy/Kirby-- have u seen the new reticles Leupold is offering??

Thks. Larry-- just got an access from the Leupold website-- here it is, if it works--

http://www.leupold.com/products/reticles_SPR.htm

Looks like they only provide 2.5 mil (9 MOA) of compensation per each stadia-- maybe not fine enuf for long-range varminting/hunting.? Probably not as good as the mil-dot, since it can also be used for holdunders, as well as holdovers, and will therefore provide as much reticle compensation as any would be able to use accurately.

thanks for the welcome guys, especially you Mr Allen. I read through a lot of the threads on this board yesterday and came away with the feeling that you are a man with an enourmous amount of knowledge on the subject of accuracy and rifle building.Everything that i read from you and almost all the other posters was spot-on. I look forward to picking up on a little of that. To answer your question about what i would be using this gun for.....mostly coyotes in long range situations. May do some big game hunting later on with it. I am leaning toward the 7mm caliber mainly because that is what i have and have had quite a bit of experience in the long range hunting business just as a matter of coarse.Living in the mtns of Colorado you do get those opportunities.My passion is coyotes though.So far this winter i have killed 28, with several shots in the 500yd range, oh but the ones that get to me are the ones that will stand and pose for you at the 600 - 800 yd range because they know you are out of range. My gun of choice is an old remington 788 in 22-250. It has been my tried and true coyote gun for many years. Used a new ruger in .204 up until mid december when the ranges started getting longer and the fur getting thicker. By next winter i hope to have a gun to carry along in the truck that i can dial in on those long shots. Your .257 magnum sounds very interesting, just from the standpoint of maybe minimal pelt damage.As my plans progress, i may be having you do some specialty work for my project.

Dogdinger,

I may know a couple things about building rifles but there are several other smiths that post here that are equally or even more experienced and the quality of the long range shooters on this board is simply awsome.

Thank you for the kind words but you will find dozens of posters on here that know as much as anyone in the world concerning long range shooting.

As far as a hammer for those rude dogs that refuse to come into the calls. I have built two big 6mm wildcats for professional yote hunters that have been simply amazing at ranges out to 700 yards.

One was a 28" Krieger barreled 6mm-06 which drove the 55 gr Ballistic Tips to 4350 fps with groups in the .2"s at 100 yards, the 70 gr pills to 4100 fps with same size groups and the big 105 gr A-Max bullets to +3500 fps with groups in the .3"s.

The other was a 6mm-06 AI with a 30" Lilja 3 groove 1-12 twist which drove the 70 gr Ballistic Tips to 4250 fps with sub 1/4 moa groups.

The big 6mms are impressive out to 700 yards or so. SOme will do much farther then that but I prefer a big 25 for ranges past 700 yards or even larger.

The 257 AM with its 100 gr bullet at 4100 fps is a decent yote hammer out to 800 yards without much fuss. With a little practive, +1000 yard shooting is pretty simple. For a true extreme range set up a 1-7.5" Lilja 3 groove of 30" in length for use with the 156 gr ULD Wildcat bullet will reach out as far as any round or bullet combo out there.

With the proper loads, the 7mm Rem Mag will certainly make short work of a yote at 800 yards. If your used to it use it!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts