76bucsfan46

76bucsfan46

I have a browning 7mm rem mag a-bolt stalker w/boss system.I purchased a zeiss conquest 4.5x14x50mm scope.What rings and mounts do you guys reccomend.Also if you have any ideas on rifle sling any info will be greatly appreciated.This setup will be used primarily out west in colorado,wyoming,etc..As you can probably tell im a new hunter that has switched fom many years fishing the gulf of mexico.Went on my 1st hunt 2yrs ago and caught the fever as if I hadnt spent enough money on fishing equipment thru the yrs lol.

Welcome!

How far out are you planning to shoot? If you are going to set up for long range, you should probably look at a 20MOA rail and then some picatinny type rings (I am partial to TPS, hear lots of good things about Nightforce, Seekins, Badger, others). Check out this thread for more opinions:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/new-long-range-choose-my-rem700-rings-bases-121819/

If you are going to hunt at more traditional ranges, you may want to look at a more traditional set-up (two piece bases with compatible rings). My preference here are Talley vertical split rings, as I don't like the rear windage on Leupold type set-ups.

Enjoy the $$$$$$$$$$$ you are going to spend now that you've got the bug. Glad to have another sucker to keep us all company!!! :D

Thanks Varmint took your advice and went with Talley steel 1in rings where you can remove the scope clean it and it will still be at zero when you reinstall it.Got the rings and basses for 110.00 delivered,not to bad I hope.SWFA was the dealer.Spent another 300 plus today on base layer clothing and some helly hansen impertec raingear.Glad im not married or id be a deadman lol!!!

Ha! It's all downhill from there. But if you don't spend money on the stuff you enjoy what's the point of workin???

SWFA has always done right by me, I think you're in good hands.

There is someone on this forum who has a signature line that reads something to the effect of "my biggest fear is that when I die my wife sells my guns for what I told her they cost". Wish I could remember who it was so i could give them credit, but its scary true!

Enjoy your new hobby and don't be a stranger around here. Good folks with lots of different levels of experience, and most are happy to help.

If you put something down post some pics!

Good luck

Varmint im flying out nov 3rd to hunt the RockHill SC area, its just 30 min south of Charlotte NC.Will be doing some treestand hunting during what I hope to be the prime of the rut.If you have any ideas on the best way to get them near me so I can fill the ole freezer, it would be greatly appreciated my friend.Bare in mind nothing to complicated cause im still just a newb.Hope to be asking you how to upload pics when I return on the 7th of nov.Now dont get to complicated with the advice I hope you impart to me cause im still just a newb at all this lol.Wow I thought selling my fishing boat would be the day I had more money,but this hunting thing is just as addictive jez.

Bucsfan,

I am by no means an expert, but I'll give you two opinions.

#1. Mine. First off, enjoy being out - not too many places nicer to spend some time than the fall woods. I am not sure what kind of space/ property you have to hunt. If at all possible, I would recommend hanging two stands with the key purpose to have a good set up for any of the 4 main wind directions NSEW (each stand covering two).

From there, try to set up within view (but not on top of) a likely food source. It is best to set up between bedding and feeding areas, but for me figuring out bedding without a lot of advance scouting is difficult. Make sure you can sneak in and out of each location without disrupting places deer are likely to be coming from. Always pay attention to the wind!

For the first 2-3 days, my approach would be to be patient and completely passive. If I pick up on obvious deer movement out of my shooting range, I'd move a stand within range. If after 3 days (assuming good weather) I'm not seeing much, I'll start to get aggressive. I would go on stand and do some rattling/grunting/hang some scent, etc. if there is still no love, my last two days would be spent slow stalking through the timber, keeping a close eye and ear out for deer, maybe grunting occasionally. A lot of stand hunters are surprised how effective this technique can be. Stay slow, quiet, and patient.

#2. Use the LRH community. Go to the deer hunting forum and put up a detailed post: where you are hunting, how much land you have to roam, what your goals are (trophy, meat, something in between). Let 'me know you are new to the sport but already hooked and wanting to learn more. Give it a semi-provocative title like "HELP me fill my tag!!" and I'll bet you get some opinions.

Good luck in the deer woods! No better way to waste a day (or months) in my opinion!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.