700P in 300WM for Long Range Hunting

mmh

I am thinking about getting a Remington 700 in 300 WinMag for long range hunting. In particular, Remington #84164 which has a 26" heavy contour 1:10" twist barrel & a B&C M40 stock. This gun is reasonably priced and I can later add a Manners stock, timney trigger, etc. Probably would get the muzzle machined for a brake right away.

The rifle is slightly heavy, but I like heavy rifles. How would this rifle do right out of the box?

I am thinking about getting a Remington 700 in 300 WinMag for long range hunting. In particular, Remington #84164 which has a 26" heavy contour 1:10" twist barrel & a B&C M40 stock. This gun is reasonably priced and I can later add a Manners stock, timney trigger, etc. Probably would get the muzzle machined for a brake right away.

The rifle is slightly heavy, but I like heavy rifles. How would this rifle do right out of the box?

That's not a 700P... That is a Remington 700 Long Range. They are very similar, but the LR has the B&C M40 stock.

Remington® Model 700™ Long-Range Bolt-Action Rifles : Cabela's

This is a 700P... The "P" stands for "Police" model - and they come with an HS Precision stock, not a B&C M40.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/95709

I have this very rifle sitting on my bench. I purchased it because of price and wanted another project. I have not shot mine yet and it will be a while since I'm saving up for a Nightforce optic. So far I have threaded the barrel for my suppressor, added a rifle basix 2.5 lb trigger, and added a 20 moa NF Base. Once my devcon shows up I'll bed the recoil lug also. I have a good feeling the 215 Berger will perform well with some careful hand loading :)

It all depends on how well you hope it shoots. A 700P should be good and the LR should be good. If you reload you will probably be happy. I ordered a 700P last week and cancelled the order the next day. I personally feel Remington's QC is lacking. I also don't like the Xmark Pro trigger. After adding up the small upgrades I wanted to do on the Remington, I just ordered a Savage; I will be money ahead and think Savage will out perform Remington. In a 300 WM I would suggest the Savage 110 HS Precision LE model. If you want a Remington, the 700P is a good choice. I would expect close to .5 moa if you load for it.

I agree that Remingtons QC sucks lately, I purchased a xcr tactical 338 lapua, BC stock brake, trynite loaded..... worst buy ever, hand loaded so many different loads and purchase many factory rounds, never would shoot anywhere near acceptable groups, tore it down, start over straighten and true everything, new trigger new brake new stock pillar and glass be Manners stock, Now it shoots incredible, should have built a semi custom would have been half as much and been guaranteed to shoot. I will never buy another Factory Remington anything. Get a Remington non designated action build a nice gun for the same money and save the frustration and hoping it will shoot.

Shoot straight my friends gun)

Don

BE SURE to get the 700P with the HS Precision stock. It has a large aluminum bedding block which HS Precision patented a few decades ago. Getting this stock means yuou will not need a Manners stock. In fact I'd much prefer the bedding block system of the HS Precision stock to the Manners.

I have a Rem. 77 in .300 Win mag with an HS Precision fluted barrel and M24 type HS Precision stock. It is a good combo, especially since HS Precision squared my bolt head and made the chamber to minimum SAAMI specs. It's a very accurate rifle I've had since 1998.

BE SURE to get the 700P with the HS Precision stock. It has a large aluminum bedding block which HS Precision patented a few decades ago. Getting this stock means yuou will not need a Manners stock. In fact I'd much prefer the bedding block system of the HS Precision stock to the Manners.

I have a Rem. 77 in .300 Win mag with an HS Precision fluted barrel and M24 type HS Precision stock. It is a good combo, especially since HS Precision squared my bolt head and made the chamber to minimum SAAMI specs. It's a very accurate rifle I've had since 1998.

The Bell & Carlson Medalist M40 also has a full-length aluminum bedding block in it. Regardless of whether he goes with the 700P (HS Precision) or 700 LR (B&C Medalist M40) he gets a very well made figerglass stock with a full-length aluminum bedding block. No matter which rifle he gets, the only things that should be needed to be done as far as the stock goes, would be a good bedding job, and the action screws torqued to 65 inch-pounds.

I have a bunch of rifles with HS Precision stocks, and one with a B&C Medalist. HS has been known as superb quality stocks for decades, but I am here to tell you that Bell & Carlson Medalist series stocks are nothing to sneeze at either. They are just as good a quality stock as the HS Precision, but about $100 less. Most of my rifles that have HS Precision stocks came from Remington that way (Senderos & 5R rifles) so I just bedded them and shot them. But if you're buying an aftermarket stock, for the money, the B&C Medalist is a hard stock to beat.

That factory stock in practical, hunting usage will *likely* be just as good as any of the top-end replacement/aftermarket stocks (especially if you bed/pillar the receiver and free-float the barrel).

How would this rifle do right out of the box?

In general, this rifle should serve you very well, though establishing it's accuracy at distance will certainly need to be absolutely determined.

Remember, these (like all rifles) are subject to the characteristics of the barrel. Remington barrels are hammer-forged which are generally not the most accurate way to make barrels.

It all depends on how well you hope it shoots. A 700P should be good and the LR should be good. If you reload you will probably be happy.

Just as jpd676 says - adjust your accuracy expectations remembering that this is a mass produced rifle and highest accuracy and tolerances are absolutely NOT the 1st criteria of the manufacturer.

However, there are some things a normal consumer can do to help improve accuracy in their factory rifle (though ultimately accuracy relies most heavily with the barrel). Things like hand-lapping the recoil lugs of the bolt/receiver face, ensuring the barrel is not touching the stock anywhere and pillar bedding the receiver, bedding the recoil lug and precisely tightening/torqueing the receiver screws. There are other things needed to truly accurize a rifle, but these are reasonably accomplished at home.

I've done these things to my stock, out-of-the-box 1982 production year Rem 700 ADL in 7mm RM. I noticed an immediate improvement in accuracy from 1 1/2"- 3" patterns to around 1" groups depending on the cartridge components. With this rifle I suspect the barrel is the primary limiting factor (and needs to be replaced at this point).

MMH- My friend bought one in 7mag, put a NF scope, trigger and brake. When we sighted it in, we put 7 rounds that could be covered by a nickle at 100yds and that was factory ammo. I don't think the gun will disappoint.

My first hunting rifle was a 300 win in a 700p topped with a 3.5-15 nxs. Was heavy but a good gun. Looking back I wouldn't buy it for my kids first gun just because when I was little the palm swell was to large for my hands. Now it wouldn't bother me as much but I still don't like the big palm swells. It shot well though. Killed my first couple deer with it

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.