700-300wm or 300wm

The reason I am looking at the 7mm is BC on the bullets is so good.
Something we rarely think about in LR is BALANCE.
I have been as guilty of this as anyone. Back in the day it was a 264 WM that ate barrels and was twitchy to load for when there were many more balanced choices out there. Even a 30-06 with a 180 SMK would have been a better balanced rig but I had to have the fastest rig out there. Then it was the STW and then RUMs.
Now I am running an Edge, which while its a ton of horsepower is a very balanced rig and the 300 SMK or Berger is just serendipity.
Also I have kicked down from the RUM line to the SAUM line and guess what? 30gr less powder and giving up 100 FPS.
The 300 WM with the 215 is a superbly balanced rig. Enough horsepower, BC and not so much bearing area to make it twitchy.
A big 7 is all sorts of fun but the 7SAUM I am playing with now will do 99% of what any 7 will AND is EFFICIENT.
Balance and efficiency make truly great rigs. The biggest BC a lot of times is too hard to balance against the case needed and bearing area.
The 300 WM with the 215 is gonna be hard to beat, I think a smaller 7 with a 180 might be closer to a balanced rig like the 300 and like Broz said the extra frontal area is very nice in a game rig. A big 7 will NEVER beat a big 30 just as a big 30 will never touch a 338 on live animals.

I'm older than dirt and just now catching on to what toddc has stated.

I guess I'm kind of slow but sure am enjoying this stuff.

A list of the stuff I have built reads like a barrel makers DREAM.
22-284
22-243
6-284
6.5x300WM
264WM
7-338LM
300RUM
6.5 RUM
270 RUM
22-06
6-06AI
6.5-06AI
7 STW
6.5 STW
338-416

All of these have been hard to load for. Some I couldn't get bullets to hold together. All burned too much powder. WAYYYYYYY too much barrel. 30" tubes. Barrel torched right about the time I found a load.

Then I started working with the Edge and started thinking about EFFICIENCY and BALANCE.

Now I'm shooting a 6.5 Creed, 338 Edge and 7 SAUM. I even have a lowly 223 now!

Believe it or not the Edge is what got my mind on that. Yeah its a big honking rig but only runs 2850 FPS and is the deadliest caliber I have ever played with. Easier than anything to find a load for.

My barrels last longer than 3 or 4 used to lol. AND they are easier to tune and more accurate and i'm giving up 1 MOA of drop and .3 of wind at 1k. DUH.

Oh and I almost forgot, I would be more afraid to stand in front of the new stuff than the speed, BC demons I used to run. Getting stuff running near the ragged edge to perform CONSISTENTLY can be a real booger BEFORE the barrel is gone.

Todd,

My venture into that world was the 270 AM. 900 rounds toasted first barrel. 600 rounds toasted the second one.

That rig is now a 270 WSM. Other favored rigs are 300 Win Mag and 375 Allen Mag.

I think the 375 AM is the most efficient.:) Actually its the most pleasing to shoot and easiest to load for. It seems any bullet from the 350 SMK to the 395 Hammer Hunter are digested quite well.

Todd,

My venture into that world was the 270 AM. 900 rounds toasted first barrel. 600 rounds toasted the second one.

That rig is now a 270 WSM. Other favored rigs are 300 Win Mag and 375 Allen Mag.

I think the 375 AM is the most efficient.:) Actually its the most pleasing to shoot and easiest to load for. It seems any bullet from the 350 SMK to the 395 Hammer Hunter are digested quite well.
As bullets get longer and bores get smaller there is a point of diminishing returns and TWITCHINESS. Yeah maybe I made that word up but the more powder you burn behind a smaller hole + a long bearing surface = TWITCHY. 375 AM = BALANCE. Crazy big balance but balance.

Who makes the 215 grain hunting bullet as i see Berger only goes to 210 but under target hybrids berger does a 215 grain. Is the target hybrid also used for hunting purposes? Barnes does 200 grain in an LRX.

Who makes the 215 grain hunting bullet as i see Berger only goes to 210 but under target hybrids berger does a 215 grain. Is the target hybrid also used for hunting purposes? Barnes does 200 grain in an LRX.

The 215 Hybrid Target is the one that has been referred to. It's performance is well documented and well used.

Good morning I want to thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it!! I am going to go with a 300 win mag and shoot ( if i can find ) the 215 grain Bergers.
Once again thank you for the help.

Good morning I want to thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it!! I am going to go with a 300 win mag and shoot ( if i can find ) the 215 grain Bergers.
Once again thank you for the help.

I feel it will do all you ever wanted and more. It might even surprise you a little.

Keep us posted.

Jeff

Will i be able to get to 3000 fps with a 26" barrel?

Does one really "need" 3000 with that bullet?

Gravity is constant, for identical velocity all trajectories are identical.

This leaves only consistent/quality reloaded cartridges then the big variable is wind and - the wind is your friend.gun)

My shooting buddy pushes 190s at 3200 in his DIY 300 Win on a Rem 40X action and has exceeding long case life.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.