7 Sherman Short COAL

The reamer is what my gunsmith has, and has built all the 7SS with. So I don't know his exact FB.
This weekend, I will double check where actual CBTO is with a 180 Hyb, since I will be loading up some 169 HH to try out anyway, and will need to find CBTO to lands with that bullet. I will verify and post up numbers for 169 HH, 180 Hyb, and 184 F Open Hyb then.

I know my stated measurements of what I am running are 100% correct, I will doublecheck jump however.
pretty sure Eric has the std .110 FB
The 180 VLD loads a lot shorter than the hybrid though! .050-.060" if I remember and puts some bullet body into the case so if vld are going to be used, another .050' or so FB would be good and hybrids would still load around 2.950

The reamer is what my gunsmith has, and has built all the 7SS with. So I don't know his exact FB.
This weekend, I will double check where actual CBTO is with a 180 Hyb, since I will be loading up some 169 HH to try out anyway, and will need to find CBTO to lands with that bullet. I will verify and post up numbers for 169 HH, 180 Hyb, and 184 F Open Hyb then.

I know my stated measurements of what I am running are 100% correct, I will doublecheck jump however.
OK, getting some 169 HHs loaded up to test. 169 HH @ lands is 2.278" CBTO, 2.930" COAL. Exact same number as the 165 TGK and 184 Hyb CBTO #s at the lands.

This was found with the bolt fall method.
Removing firing pin/spring, ejector/spring, and extractor. Then seating the bullet in .001" deeper increments until the bolt falls closed unimpeded.

Last edited:

Recent Posts