7 rsaum and the 180 ELD

Matt Wolf

I've got 2 7 rsaums- one with a 22" factory tube, and one with a 25" Rock HV. I would love some real world info from folks who are loading the 180 ELD. I'm wondering about loads and on game performance.

I loaded mine with a healthy dose of Retumbo under a 180 Berger hybrid . Worked great, probably work well with the Hornady bullets also .

I load 60 grs. RL26 behind a 180 VLD in my 7ss which should be close to your saum. I max out around 62 grains...Rich

I've got H4831, H4350, RL22, H1000, N160 and N165. To date, RL22 has worked great in the shorter tube, with 162's, and H1000 with 180's in the chunk.

I think H1000 is too slow for that combo. RL22 will give the best velocity but I don't like it's sensitivity to temp. You could try some H4831 or N165.

My father shoots the 180's out of his factory 7 saum. We found the best powder was indeed H1000. I cannot remember the powder charge off hand. It showed very good accuracy with great performance. It's by far his favorite and most accurate gun. The drawback (which isn't a problem for him) was we needed to seat the bullet further out so the load wasn't extremely compressed. By doing this the gun became a single shot. He just took his 7 saum to Wyoming and shot a Antelope at 400 with excellent results. I would not overlook H1000.

I have a 7 wsm that I load developed with H1000 and it was a tack driver but in the heat I ran into trouble with it and I went to R25 and it shoots the same charge but my pressure left. both powders run the same velocity,but my barrel is 26 inch. i would like to run some 26 thru it tho :)
Good luck.

might try rl 33 with the heavier bullets. Its also way more temp stable than 25. h1000 is one of the coolest temp stable powders in that class though it just tends to not give the best vel compared to rel.

I'm more concerned with accuracy and consistency than I am with chasing the last few FPS, so I may well just stay with H1000. Time to load up some ladders and see just what is what I guess.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.