7 rem mag to 7 Dakota

rharfo

Thinking about buying a 7 rem mag Dakota model 97 and having it rechambered to 7 Dakota. Does the bolt face need modified?
rem mag = .480/.532
Dakota = .487/.545
Worried the claw extractor might affect function..
Thoughts?
Thanks

rharfo,

Generally speaking, it is always best to adjust the diameter of the bolt face then tune the extractor on Winchester-style actions. Some might argue that there is only an insignificant size change in both and that you could get away without these adjustments.

However, if by chance you have a head of game in your sights and you try to cycle the bolt which seizes slightly or worse, refuses to chamber the cartridge fully, you have essentially missed your opportunity. Why take that chance. Get it adjusted/tuned correctly and never have a doubt.

Regards.

Added for clarity:

The case rim diameters of the Dakota cartridges are different to the WSM and Remington beltless magnums. Rather than being rebated to work with standard bolt faces, the Dakota 2.5" cartridges utilize the full width of the parent .404 Jeffery case head at .454". Because of this, many shooters are currently wildcatting the .375 Ruger, necking it down to 7mm and .30 caliber etc, in order to duplicate the performance of the Dakota cartridges at a far lower cost.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Dakota+proprietary+cartridges.html

Seems to me that's going to be one heck of a gunsmith's bill for 200 fps....the bolt work I would think could be opened up that much..said think...the extractor, mmmm..magazine ?.. Rechamber, barrel work... Just seems like a lot for a few inches at 500y.. Want what you want, I can think of a few women I once had thoughts like that of...until I had them......think before what one wants, might be in order here

I would say you are not going to get much more performance for the costs. If it is something you just have to do then go for it. BUT....

Consider that you may only get 100-150 fps more velocity, and there are plenty of costs. Brass is $2.15 each. I read that some of the Dakota brass had short life, not sure how it is doing these days.

Dies will be more too. Then there is the cost for the gunsmith to chamber it and open up the bolt face rendering the bolt useless for most other magnum cases. Does that gunsmith have the reamer? What are its specs?

Think you get the idea......as long as you know what you are getting into, go for it and enjoy the ride.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.