7 mm remington mag on elk

This may be the wrong thread but I have a tikka 7 mag and have been looking for a light weight scope in the 15 ounce or less range... Is there anything out there in the $500 to $600 dollar range besides leupold and sightron that can get me to around 900 yards with out a 20 moa base?
I run one of these...They weigh 16.5 oz. in a DNZ Game Reaper 1-piece medium base. Makes for a nice lightweight hunting rig, and a very strong mount.

Kahles KXi Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 50mm Illuminated 4D Reticle Matte

DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base 1 Integral Rings Tikka T3

Here's a picture of my lightweight whitetail rig (Rem 700 custom 7mm RemMag)...

14E47DF2-E9CF-4DDE-93FE-14EE658D9912_zpsxqmo3dky.jpg

A8F2D621-6B78-4D2F-9E32-0D4926B2B5C8_zpswvvfvwsg.jpg

That's kinda how I'm looking at it. How far is far enough? It has been quite an education the past two years extending my range from 749 yards with a Cooper .270 sporter to 1402 last year. There is a point where the wind becomes such a huge factor that I frequently won't waste powder because any hit would only be educated luck.
The load I am using is moved .75" with each .1 mph change in wind speed at 1400 yards.
I like a little better odds than that.

At 13.5 lbs, my LR rifle is not something I want to hike around with very much, and when I hunt elk I cover ground. I like your idea of a long range elk rifle that can also be packed around. I currently use an 8lb, scoped, 270 WSM that has proved to be a deadly marmot gun past 600 yards. Once the range gets out to 800 though, my hit % goes down enough would not shoot at elk at that range
That's where your 7mm-300 idea comes in. My preference is for a 7 STW, just because dies and cases are easily available and I've done all the wildcatting I care to do.
My idea is a Ti action, Murphy Ti scope mounts and rings, Manners carbon fiber stock, and a 26" Sendero taper barrel. I want a thousand yard capable rifle with a max weight of 10 lbs, scoped with a serious long range scope.

Hmmm... what was it I said earlier about another 10K rifle?

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled 7RM thread

thanks for the reply Mudrunner... That is the same base i have on mine but it think it is a low mount
I've also seen quite a few Leupold 3.5-10x50's selling over on Ebay well within your price range. Give them a look.

The 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest can also be had in your price range if you are patient and just keep looking for a bargain there.

I've also seen quite a few Leupold 3.5-10x50's selling over on Ebay well within your price range. Give them a look.

The 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest can also be had in your price range if you are patient and just keep looking for a bargain there.
Next in line behind the Kahles scopes, I recommend the Zeiss Conquest scopes. I have several of them. They are excellent scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.