7 mm bullets

tlshootst

I'm a new poster here but have been reading this sight for 2 years now and have learned so much here. I have hunted and reloaded for 27 years but the level of experience and knowlege on this sight is really great.
My question is: What is the difference in realistic hunting accuracy 700 to 800 yards between 7mm-08, .280 remington 7mm mag,7mmshortmag 7mm ultramag?
Now I'm keeping this to factory rifles, no customs. I would think with some fine tuned reloads and standard rifle tuning (beding, trigger work)that any of these cartridges could be made to shoot well. It just depends on how much recoil a person would put up with and/or the energy that would be needed for the game hunted. We are not looking to win any competitions,just realistic hunting accuracy that a person with the proper equipment and practice could hit with confidence. Thanks for your answers.

I would say the 7-08 and 7wsm would be the more accurate of the bunch simply because there short action based cartridges. That doesn't mean the long action ones wont shoot though. In real world, if you can get 4-8 inch groups at 800 yards, thats good enough for deer and elk hunting. My personal 7 RM is a model 700 and will easily ring a 15" gong at 800 yards. As far as groups, it has shot 2.5-5" groups at 700 yards. Nothing is dont to my rifle except for a trigger job and a muzzle brake. Most calibers can be expected to shoot well at LR with teh right loads and bullets..

Snow67 ,

First off welcome !

I think your questions can be answered with pretty much common sense/physics.
You mention 'how much recoil ect.' you can take.For longrange shooting a heavy-ish rifle will be more stable and beat back the recoil.
And a higher capacity cartridge [7mag,7wsm,7stw,7rum] will get the bullet there faster giving flatter shooting and less wind drift.

So my choice would be rem sendero in 7rum shooting a 180 gr berger.<-Tolerable recoil in a heavy accurate gun w/a knock-down drag out bullet !-Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.