7 Allem Mag Smokes Some Fur

Buffalobob

I was antelope hunting in Wyoming trying to make a 1500 yard shot but time was running out and I needed to get on over to Utah for elk season. So I decided to kill the first antelope I found that was over 1000 yards away and with decent winds to shoot with i.e less than 10mph. I had already made a 500 yard shot with the XP-100R and had about four failed stalks with the S&W 460 XVR. I had a buck and a doe tag left but only wanted to make one shot.

The rifle is the 7mm Allen Mag using the 200 grain Wildcat hollow point rebated boattail bullet at 3350fps, shooting off of a Harris bipod. The scope is a NF 8-32X-56mm with the NPR2 reticle. The shot was made at the same place I made two 1K shots last year and Phil made a 910 yard shot the year before. The gun just smokes the fur right off the hide even at 1080 yards.

The video is made in HD and you should play it at 1080p full screen because you will want to replay it three or four times. What you will see is a small antelope buck with a herd of mule deer does. I have trimmed off several minutes of the beginning because the small buck stays lined up with a doe and the bullet will surely pass through and kill them both and the Wy F&G will be unhappy with that. You will see that for a couple of seconds I have a nice broadside shot and I very nearly break the trigger just as he steps but managed to release the pressure and wait and take the quartering away shot.

Here are some things to watch.
1. He is hit in the spine and falls immediately
2. Smokin fur blows off the buck's far side about five feet up into the air and slowly drifts back down, not to be confused with the dust from the bullet hitting the ground in the background.
3. The bullet deflects "upwards" and skips hitting the dirt twice.
4. How many deer were there?
5. The doe on the left jumps straight up in the air.
6. One doe is totally clueless and very curious about what has happened to her new boyfriend.

Smokin Fur = YouTube - Microcystis's Channel

Exit wound

2010buck.jpg

I love the WOP so long after the buck is down, like you hit a drum with a 2x4.

Buffalobob, smoking the west on goat at a time :D:D:D

That is a fantastic video and shot. What type of video camera do you use?

It is a Sony handicam HDR-UX10 with a Sony 1.7 doubler. I set it for HD which eats up a lot of disc in a hurry but it helps with the quality.

Very nice shooting and congratulations on the animals as well. Somehow Longrange hunting stories are not the same as having a video of the hunt. Not a lot of talking or doing the hero pose, just the meat and potatoes. I like it!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.