6XC with 110 A-tips question on drops

Reemty J

I have blue printed Remington action with 26" heavy barrel 1-8" twist, loaded up 3 shells each, 41-41.5-42 grains Superformance, 41 was one hole @100 yds, 41.5 was 1" group, 42 was 2 touching and 1 a 1/2" away ( could have been operator error) 😳 loaded up 12 more shells at 41 grains, put all the numbers in the Hornady ballistic calculator for drops out to a 100 yds. Am zeroed at 200 yds, estimated velocity 2900 fps, all drops were spot on to a 1000 yds, except the 400 yds was 2 clicks low, and 600 yds was 3 clicks high, 800 yds 2 clicks high😳 200-300-500-700-900-1000 were all right on, the 900 yds shot was 1" to the right of the 1" bull, it was calm out…. I believe this load could be loaded as high as 42.5-43 as I saw no pressure problem on brass (Norma) or primer, but when it shoots in one hole why chase 100-150 fps?? I adjusted my clicks to be on at the off yardages but have you people seen something like this? Going to shoot some more coyotes this weekend with it. Really like this A-tip so far lots more shooting to follow. I coated these bullets with David Tubbs HNB, I think that is what it's called 😳 3 shot group at 800 yds was 3-3/8" or sub 1/2" moa

anybody else see this where you are spot on at 6 yardages and off on 3yardages? Would seem to me that the trajectory arch would remain consistent ? Anyone shot superformance powder in a 6XC?

Last edited:
What are you calling "spot on" and what are the click adjustments worth? "Exact" where the dot is on the optic is an approximate, not an exact. With 1/4 clicks instead of 1/8 or .05mil you will have enough variance to be off an inch depending on exact drop at said range/distance. If you click is between on the distance then that's where the change happens/occurs. SFP or FFP with magnification change has a play on it also. This is about whether the dot stays the same size or not to cover up the dot being shot.

3 shots at 800 all 2 clicks high, individual shots at all other ranges, was limited on time, spot on meaning I was hitting right where cross hairs appeared at time of trigger break.

Last edited:
What are you calling "spot on" and what are the click adjustments worth? "Exact" where the dot is on the optic is an approximate, not an exact. With 1/4 clicks instead of 1/8 or .05mil you will have enough variance to be off an inch depending on exact drop at said range/distance. If you click is between on the distance then that's where the change happens/occurs. SFP or FFP with magnification change has a play on it also. This is about whether the dot stays the same size or not to cover up the dot being shot.
What I meant by "spot on" is shooting all shots at say 200 yards and adjusting turrets to the values for drops at the same ranges i.e. 100, 200 300 etc... and see if the click values are consistent or if they increase at the same point (extra elevation at 800 yd setting). It's just validating the turrets are accurate.

3 shots at 800 all 2 clicks high, individual shots at all other ranges, was limited on time, spot on meaning I was hitting right where cross hairs appeared at time of trigger break.
Perhaps check the aberrant shot distances with more than one shot. Believe me, I get the time constraints.

I have blue printed Remington action with 26" heavy barrel 1-8" twist, loaded up 3 shells each, 41-41.5-42 grains Superformance, 41 was one hole @100 yds, 41.5 was 1" group, 42 was 2 touching and 1 a 1/2" away ( could have been operator error) 😳 loaded up 12 more shells at 41 grains, put all the numbers in the Hornady ballistic calculator for drops out to a 100 yds. Am zeroed at 200 yds, estimated velocity 2900 fps, all drops were spot on to a 1000 yds, except the 400 yds was 2 clicks low, and 600 yds was 3 clicks high, 800 yds 2 clicks high😳 200-300-500-700-900-1000 were all right on, the 900 yds shot was 1" to the right of the 1" bull, it was calm out…. I believe this load could be loaded as high as 42.5-43 as I saw no pressure problem on brass (Norma) or primer, but when it shoots in one hole why chase 100-150 fps?? I adjusted my clicks to be on at the off yardages but have you people seen something like this? Going to shoot some more coyotes this weekend with it. Really like this A-tip so far lots more shooting to follow. I coated these bullets with David Tubbs HNB, I think that is what it's called 😳 3 shot group at 800 yds was 3-3/8" or sub 1/2" moa

anybody else see this where you are spot on at 6 yardages and off on 3yardages? Would seem to me that the trajectory arch would remain consistent ? Anyone shot superformance powder in a 6XC?
Perhaps try shooting on an EVEN NUMBER DAY....It's certainly Odd to hear this!

Mirage? Parallax? Shooting positions all prone or bench? Consistent Cheek weld is critical.
Are you dialing your parallax/ focus to the prescribed yardage number or actually dialing out your parallax. Adjusting so the image is clear does not mean the parallax is dialed out.
I've had all these effect me. Good luck hope you figure it out.

"estimated velocity 2900 fps"? Did you actually chrono for true velocity? PRS shooters (that I shoot with) when developing dope for 1000+ with ballistic apps have to true their data for BC and Velocity and they start with chronograph data and well known projectiles with lots of BC data (like A tips).

No chronograph, drops correlate that the guess is close, was a warm day and there was mirage visible in the scope. From 700 yards out target was not as clear as I would like it.

Recent Posts