6xc load help

LittleCornball

Wanting to load some 100 grain nosler partitions in 6xc. Looking for starting load recommendations with powder selection. The only book I got with data is Berger and don't want to try and manipulate data for their Bullets to fit a partition. If you need more info I can post it up. Thank you.

Wanting to load some 100 grain nosler partitions in 6xc. Looking for starting load recommendations with powder selection. The only book I got with data is Berger and don't want to try and manipulate data for their Bullets to fit a partition. If you need more info I can post it up. Thank you.

6xc is one of those wildcat long range competition calibers based on the 6BR

You can find lots of load data on the Accurate Shooter website and BR Central. Problem is all that data is going to be for target bullets.

If you want nosler load data you are going to have to create it yourself. I would pick a load and powder that works good for the bench guys with that weight bullet and back off the load and work up slowly.

I would also use an overall length gauge with the bullet you are planning to use and find out what my maximum COL could be. That way when you start working on seating depth you have a baseline to work with.

Was trying to avoid that. Wanted a hunting load for the boy to use instead of match bullet loads I have. Suppose if I work up a load it won't require to much time if it will hold a minute at 100 yds. It will work as a whitetail load here. Thanks for the post.

One minute at 100 with a 6XC should be easy. What powder, bullet, oal, barrel length, will you be trying to use. I'd run this on quick load for fun, it would get you in the ballpark.

Don Dunlap

The 6 XC is a great caliber, as a big 6 cal guy I shoot many little 6's, the 6 Xc is my favorite. Most guys don't shoot the 100 gr partitions because they lean toward the more efficient performing bullets like the VLD's. I lean toward the extreme powders when I load for hunting and therefore prefer H 4350 for my 6 XC loads. Starting with 38 gr. of H 4350 will give a good starting point and then work up from there. RL 17 is also a great powder but is effected by extreme temps. Any load for 105 gr bullet is a good place to start for the 100 gr Partition. Good luck and enjoy the little 6, it's a sweetheart of a round! My hunting round in my 6 XC is 115 gr. VLD's and have taken deer past 700 yards with it and many @ 500-600 yards. It's a great little caliber. Good shooting, Rick

Thanks for the replies. My powder reserves lean toward the larger calibers and have been running varget with the bergers. I was hoping to stick with varget if possible. The bullet is the 100 grain nosler partition run through a 24 inch barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. I don't have my cbto yet but plan to load them to run in the internal magazine. As I said just need a hunting round for the boy to take out that's not going to beat him up. No point in throwing the trusty 30-06 in his hands like my father did and him having to worry about anticipating the shot. Also the information provided on load work up in the last post is much appreciated. I'll see if I need to find different powder if I can't get the varget to run.

Several guy's run Varget and it works fine. I don't think you get quite the speed of some of the other powders but good accuracy. I'd start with 32.5-33 gr and work up from there. I have shot it with 105 VLD's and used 35 gr in my rifle but it is a custom action rifle. Would suggest starting lower and work up. If I had lots of Varget I'd definitely use it. good shooting. Rick

I ran it in QL, for your barrel time load without changing any defaults other then oal.

Barrel time for a 24" closest to max psi 1.102 ms.

OAL 2.800" 39.4 grs. PSI 61929 FPS 3099 100% Powder Burn Actual barrel time 1.101 ms.

OAL 2.750" 39 grs. PSI 61628 FPS 3090 100% Powder Burn Actual barrel time 1.104 ms.

I can go back and look at the next lower node if you would like.

Don Dunlap

I went back and looked at the next lower node.

Barrel time 1.228 ms.

OAL 2.800" 36.1 grs. BT 1.226 ms. PSI 48938 FPS 2881 powder burn 99.61%

OAL 2.750" 35.8grs. BT 1.227 ms. PSI 48913 FPS 2876 powder burn 99.58%

Don Dunlap

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.