6x47Lapua Who's got one

Shooter264

I am looking for data for this cartridge with the 105's. What Velocity are you getting? I am getting ready to stuff together another 6mm and love my 243AI but just built a 6.5x47 and it shoots phenominal so I think the 6mm version will shoot great too.

I've done alot of searching on this cartridge over the last year, cause I had one built. Cept mine is an Ackley improved version. Just got it and haven't chrono'd anything yet, still in the neck turning, fireforming and loading process.

What I've been finding on the web is velocities anywhere from 2800 to 3150 with the 105-107 bullets. Popular powders seem to be R17 and R19, H 4350, VitaVouri N160 and N560. Some have also mentioned the 4895's and 4831's and Varget.

I've been seeing powder charges from 35 grains to 40 grains with most all above powders. Most info I've seen is with CCI primers.

Haven't heard anything bad about this cartridge.

Good Luck.

I have one, and its a hammer. One of teh most accurate rifles I've owned. I have not pushed it remotely hard and have two good loads for the Berger 108 BTs. One runs right at 2,840 fps the other is faster at approximately 2,960 fps from my 27" barrel. The slower load shoots bug holes and I opt for that one most of the time.

Robert's loads are very close to my reality. Check it out:

6mmHOT Load Info

JeffVN

I just ordered my barrel.. I plan to shoot lighter bullets for coyotes.. 65 or 70 grains.. Any one else shooting light bullets out of their 6-6.5X47?? Data is sketchy for these light weights for sure..

Any sources that have light bullet loads..

If guys can get 3100 out of 105s then I would love to know what I can expect with 65-70 gr bullets..

The reason I am building it is I have a 260AI and 300 winnie and a 338 Lapua Imp.. All carrying barrels 30-34 inches and this one will be a bull barrel but only 18-22 inches long so I can easily maneuver it in and out of the truck and it will be easier to carry to a stand..

We do attend one local competition where the longest shot is 400 yards but they have standing shots as well and a 8lb barrel is killer on standing shots.LOL

I finally got to load up some charges with my Ackley improved version. I was more than impressed with velocity with the 105's.

I used 4350 powder and found 42.5 grns was maximum. I threw that case away and loaded another with 41 grains and shot it through the chrono................3294'/sec @ 11' from the muzzle........or about 3300 at muzzle out a 26" tube. Thats 25-06 velocity with alot shorter case and alot less powder!

Lots of room to play with from here, I too wonder what the 75's will do. I haven't shot for groups yet, only pressure signs; cause there is hardly any data out on this wildcat.

I've heard the 70 grn bullets are super deadly on coyotes, but I didn't hear how fast they were pushing them. generally speaking, we can back down on bullet weight and leave the powder charge alone. That is what I'll do next, but I don't have anything 70 or less at the moment.

Let me know if you try them and how fast they go:)

mine will shoot a ragged hole no matter the recipe.
my two favourite loads are
108 berger with 39 grs of adi 2209
105 amax with 41 grns of n160

both with federal match primers and both shoot at 3010 fps in a 28" barrell

I think I need to clarify my load data from above.

My cases were already formed to the improved version, which increased the capacity by about 5%.

The 42.5 grain Maximum load I mentioned was indeed MAXIMUM!!!
The case was ruined, and the primers got very loose after 42 grains. At 42.5, the primer basically just fell out.

41 Grains is probably even a little much, and I don't plan on hunting with that charge.

I don't want someone to stick 41 grains in an unimproved case and think it will be ok without working up to it and watching for pressure signs first.

Still, that being said; the case seems very efficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.