6x47 lapua or 6mm creedmoor?

matt_3479

Got all the components for the build but can't decide on caliber! Going to be used 99% of the time for just target. The other 1% might be the odd coyote or pest control. Aiming to shoot the 105's but will probably test 115's as well. Have thousands of 105's so that will be the main bullet.

I know one aregument is that there is commercial brass for the creedmoor and you don't have to neck down and the other side for the 6x47 is that lapua brass is better. I know lapua is making 6.5 creedbrass now too but it's still will have to be necked down. So I can't decide. I'm ready to pull the trigger on ordering brass, and dies and to send rifle off to smith! Any opinions here

NEITHER....stick with the time tested good old fashion 6 BR...it's just as accurate, easy to work with, brass is reasonable and available.. No paper or steel will miss the 100 fps..just not enough going for the other two to convince me otherwise..

NEITHER....stick with the time tested good old fashion 6 BR...it's just as accurate, easy to work with, brass is reasonable and available.. No paper or steel will miss the 100 fps..just not enough going for the other two to convince me otherwise..

It's more than 100 fps. A 6mm creed or 6x47L push 105s around the 3100-3150ish mark. I've seen some report over 3200. Where as a 6mm br your looking around 2900 fps.

Personally, I'd have to pick the 6x47L. I just really like this case for a 6mm. Not that there's anything wrong with the Creed' case.

t

6mmXC Its been around long before the others and was developed by David Tubb from the ground up for long range high power competition. Norma Brass is easily available and offers performance equal to the 6x47 or the 6 creed. I have built a handful of these as long range, light weight Coues deer rifles and they do not disappoint. They are very easy to tune and the 105 Berger Hybrids at 3000fps plus drops deer with authority at some pretty incredible ranges.

Got all the components for the build but can't decide on caliber! Going to be used 99% of the time for just target. The other 1% might be the odd coyote or pest control. Aiming to shoot the 105's but will probably test 115's as well. Have thousands of 105's so that will be the main bullet.

matt_3479,

My guess is that there have a couple of million words written on this very topic or the variations of it. But it can be overwhelming when confronted with all the potentially great cartridges available for your choosing.

I know you listed what your intentions of use are but I suggest sitting down and writing out a detailed pro/con list given the parameters of how you intend to use the rifle.

Any of the cartridges above will reach out and shoot small groups at 1,000 yards. Any of them will put coyotes and other small varmints in the weeds. They will all double in spades for a good deer rifle also. There just aren't any drawbacks, even brass when it comes right down to it. Good brass and other components are readily available for each cartridge. The biggest discussion might be from how much work you have to put into the brass for the cartridge chosen.

If I was going to rate them, I would suggest the 6BR for sheer simplicity, accuracy and components. If I was looking for a challenge where brass manipulation was of no consequence, I might tell you to look at the 6mm SLR. Be aware that you could use a fireforming barrel for a couple of these...

The good news is that you cannot go wrong with any of the cartridges mentioned. Please yourself and solve the problem of use.

Regards.

matt_3479,

My guess is that there have a couple of million words written on this very topic or the variations of it. But it can be overwhelming when confronted with all the potentially great cartridges available for your choosing.

I know you listed what your intentions of use are but I suggest sitting down and writing out a detailed pro/con list given the parameters of how you intend to use the rifle.

Any of the cartridges above will reach out and shoot small groups at 1,000 yards. Any of them will put coyotes and other small varmints in the weeds. They will all double in spades for a good deer rifle also. There just aren't any drawbacks, even brass when it comes right down to it. Good brass and other components are readily available for each cartridge. The biggest discussion might be from how much work you have to put into the brass for the cartridge chosen.

If I was going to rate them, I would suggest the 6BR for sheer simplicity, accuracy and components. If I was looking for a challenge where brass manipulation was of no consequence, I might tell you to look at the 6mm SLR. Be aware that you could use a fireforming barrel for a couple of these...

The good news is that you cannot go wrong with any of the cartridges mentioned. Please yourself and solve the problem of use.

Regards.

I built a 6x47 last year and I love it! Shoots everything under.5" Great rockchuck round, low recoil good barrel life and it loves to be suppressed.

Personally, I'd have to pick the 6x47L. I just really like this case for a 6mm. Not that there's anything wrong with the Creed' case.

t

How do you size your brass. I've read that FL bushing die is best. I've read the bushing die won't size the neck all the way down the first time, and you can do it in 1 step with a regular FL sizer, and read that you need to do it in 2 steps so you don't crunch the shoulder?

Matt, I'll chime in here. This summer I had a 6x47 Lapua built on a Remmy action, Bartlien barrel. I love this thing!!!! BUT, unlike some people, I had definite issues forming 6.5 L brass down to 6mm. Lots of folks say the Forster FL, non bushing sizing die is' the' way to form 6x47 cases. But, I ended up with crooked necks on many of my cases. That really bothered me!!!! I sure wish Lapua would make 6x47 for us!!!! Ha Ha... After firing & resizing, the necks are looking better, & the rifle (cartridge) shoots very well!!!!! Another cartridge mentioned, the 6XC would definitely be up for consideration!!!!!! I can't answer the barrel life question, as I've only got <200 rounds through my new rifle so far. If it wasn't for the case sizing thing, It'd be a "No Brainer" go to the 6x47L........ Good luck with your decision

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.