6x45 w/ 80gr Speer bullet recovery

Can you make the AI brass with a die or do you need to fire form them?
I will just form them with the Starline wildcat tubes or if using 223 brass then yes you will have to fireform.
reason for the AI chamber is to cut down on case growth and the constant trimming that is the one downside of the 243 win.

I use 70, 75 and 80gr bullets in my 6x45. Best powder in my rifle is CFE223 and H4895.

Attachments

• 20161130_174422.jpg
    20161130_174422.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 138
I have 18" AR upper 6/45 with 5R barrel, free float hand guard that i had built, that loves 85SGK and 95 Nosler on top of H335. Back up is BLC2. Hell on pigs/deer. Want to sell with over 250 loaded bullets from 75-100gr bullets. All LC brass and all shot MOA or better. $550 Rd count is under 400 rds. Bore is perfect. PM me for pics if interested.....Or u can call me 203671610

I have been using the 6x45 for six years as my primary prairie dog rifle. I use the 80 grain Nosler ballistic tips over 25 grains of BLC -2. Extremely accurate out to around 500 yards. Shot my personal best last summer at 620 yards. Required two shots but was fun watching it roll down the mound. Same recoil as the .223 but has less wind drift. My gun prefers boat tails over flat base bullets. My 9 year old granddaughter shoots it without any problems. So far my best cartridge for overall use.

I've got a 16" bolt 6x45 that I take deer and hogs with. Feeding it 70gr hammers over cfe223 is the best combo I've found. Original load was 90 gr nosler or the 95 sst both worked good but we're about slow. The hammers were bought for a .243 but thought I'd try and boy were they accurate and kill very quick. Gonna have to get that out again and have some fun.

I've got a 16" bolt 6x45 that I take deer and hogs with. Feeding it 70gr hammers over cfe223 is the best combo I've found. Original load was 90 gr nosler or the 95 sst both worked good but we're about slow. The hammers were bought for a .243 but thought I'd try and boy were they accurate and kill very quick. Gonna have to get that out again and have some fun.
What velocity are you getting with the 70gr hammers?

I don't have a 6x45 but I do have some experience with 6mm bullets running 2800 fps.
In an estate sale I got a T/C Contender pistol frame with a few barrels. One of the barrels was a custom made (maker unknown) 14" in 6mm/225 Win. It uses the old rimmed 225 Winchester case necked up to 6mm with a blown out AI style shoulder.
My trouble was it has a 1 N 14" twist.

I wanted to use this barrel for deer hunting and the first bullet I wanted to try was the 80 gr Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet that is now discontinued.

I did get loading dies and some cases with the barrel but no load data.
I treated it like a wildcat of which I had worked with few in the past.
Closest case capacity rounds were the 6mm PPC and BR.
I came up with Varget as the powder which ran the 80 gr Sierra SSP 2800 fps with better than I could hold accuracy. Way under MOA.

Most of my shots would be between 50 and 110 yards from a shooting house over a corn pile.

Found out that the 80 Sierra SSP would not exit on broadside shots through the ribs and deer would run off a ways into a very thick pine, green briar and swampy cut over and leave little to NO blood trail and was very difficult to recover.

The next year I tried to get the Sierra 85 gr BTHP to shoot and it would not stabilize in the 14" twist. I also had some 85gr Speer bullets but figured they would not stabilize either because they were about the same length etc. as the Sierra. Speer did not make the 80 gr bullet at that time as far as I know.

No other lighter bullets I had access to I thought would be suitable from prior experience of shooting varmints with a 243 Win rifle at the impact velocity I was going to get with my 6mm-225.

I just used the 80 Sierra SSP bullet and picked my shots. I waited until the deer was facing me and put it's head down and I would shoot in the neck where the neck met the body. Bang Flop.
I really think the 80 gr SSP is the same as todays Sierra 80 gr varmint bullet.

The next year I was told by a very experienced 6mm PPC shooter with 14" twist that the 85 gr Nosler Partition would stabilize at my velocity and was an excellent deer bullet that most often would exit even through the shoulders.

I did purchase some of the 85 Nosler Partitions but never loaded any because I already had decided to have MGM make me a 14" 30-30AI barrel. 125 Nosler BT at 2670 fps SMOKES deer and the rest is history as to deer hunting with the 6mm-225. I have relegated it to varmints and bought up a supply of the Sierra 80 gr SSP when I heard they were being discontinued.

I wish back then I could have gotten some of those 80 gr Speer bullets because the sound like they would have been a perfect bullet for me.