6x45 / .243-.223 / Information Please

pushcoguy

So I have a AR-15 stripped lower, and have been considering what I want to do (build) with it. I am pretty interested in the idea of the 6x45. I have no experience with the round, though. I have done searches and reading on this site and others, but what good or bad traits does this round exhibit?

For consideration, the purpose of this rifle is target, varmint and whitetail duty, for pretty much everyone in my family. In other words, young children and a wife that would appreciate a minimal of recoil. I do like that it's just .223 brass necked up, and that there aren't many considerations (barrel) beyond a "normal" AR-15 build.

Great little round simple to neck up from 223 brass and easy to load for.
I am on my third 6x45 AR and also have a Cooper bolt in that caliber.
Killed lots of pigs and coyotes along with a few whitetail with mine.

I'm building one for much the same reason...I have a 7-year-old daughter taking an interest and want something she can hunt deer with and possibly shoot mid-range F-class in a few years. Recoil being an issue, it seems the perfect round until she is ready for a 243Win.

I've got a McGowan barrel coming in the mail right now to Remage a donor action.

I'm building one for much the same reason...I have a 7-year-old daughter taking an interest and want something she can hunt deer with and possibly shoot mid-range F-class in a few years. Recoil being an issue, it seems the perfect round until she is ready for a 243Win.

I've got a McGowan barrel coming in the mail right now to Remage a donor action.

Yeah. I've got three girls, aged 4, 6, & 8 years, and a 7 year old boy. In other words, if the round meets our needs... the rifle(s) may see a ton of field time.

Look at a 6.8 SPC, or if you want to experiment a little, consider the Six5. Unfortunately I believe there is only one or two manufactures making that barrel at the moment, but worth a look if you want something different

Outstanding cartridge for children, recoil sensitive women and men with shoulder issues. Doesn't get much better. Mild as they come and has plenty of poop to swat deer with well placed boiler-room shots. Easy to make accurate loads with and inexpensive to shoot. If your bullet choice is poor for the critter or your hit is marginal at all you'll find it often ends up with you tracking deer with very poor blood trails on whitetail sized deer. On blacktails it's just fine, they're tiny so any center mass hit is a good hit basically. You get 10grains more bullet weight at the same velocity as a .223. Does really amazing with 85gn bullets with BL-C(2) or Benchmark, my 2 faves anyway. Pretty easy to get over 2800fps with Nosler Partition 85's with those powders.

Outstanding cartridge for children, recoil sensitive women and men with shoulder issues. Doesn't get much better. Mild as they come and has plenty of poop to swat deer with well placed boiler-room shots. Easy to make accurate loads with and inexpensive to shoot. If your bullet choice is poor for the critter or your hit is marginal at all you'll find it often ends up with you tracking deer with very poor blood trails on whitetail sized deer. On blacktails it's just fine, they're tiny so any center mass hit is a good hit basically. You get 10grains more bullet weight at the same velocity as a .223. Does really amazing with 85gn bullets with BL-C(2) or Benchmark, my 2 faves anyway. Pretty easy to get over 2800fps with Nosler Partition 85's with those powders.

Thanks Guy. What dies do you use?

Mostly just use a 6mm Hornady ND neck sizer for initial forming an RCBS seater and RCBS full length die too for when they need a full sizing.

I also use bl-c 2 with mine. Great round. I've had great luck with the nosler 90gr and the 85 interbond on deer and pigs. Great little round and easy to load. Also check out the 300blk. Has factory ammo if needed and also easy to load for. I do t use my 6x45 as much now as my 300blk pushing Cutting egde 100gr raptors at 2550fps. Only because my father and brother also use them. Not quite as flat as the 6x45 though.
I think you are on the right track.

I also use bl-c 2 with mine. Great round. I've had great luck with the nosler 90gr and the 85 interbond on deer and pigs. Great little round and easy to load. Also check out the 300blk. Has factory ammo if needed and also easy to load for. I do t use my 6x45 as much now as my 300blk pushing Cutting egde 100gr raptors at 2550fps. Only because my father and brother also use them. Not quite as flat as the 6x45 though.
I think you are on the right track.

Thanks. What twist and length barrels do you guys use, and what velocities are you seeing with each bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.