6mm ricochet free bullets

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by jpeaston, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jpeaston

jpeaston Well-Known Member

got a 243 wssm coming soon with a 8 twist, just wondering what you guys would use to try to eliminate ricochets? pelt damage is not a concern for me. I cant really find anything on the web about the 62 gvarmint grenades and recomended twists, barnes says 10 or faster, so I think I am good to go, but was wondering if you guys had any thoughts...

2. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

62g Varmint grenades suck on coyotes just FYI. They're great on prairie dogs but they tend to splash on coyotes. You'd be find with a 8T rifle. I still have 3/4 of a box of those things that i'll never shoot, unless i'm shooting them at prairie dogs.

xdeano

3. dzlfarmboy

dzlfarmboy Well-Known Member

With an 8 twist I would try the 87vmax or 105 Amax bullets, those 60 grainers are too light for an 8 twist barrel.

4. strombeckj

strombeckj Well-Known Member

I use 88gr Berger varmints that work great in my 6-06 or 85gr Speer SPBT for coyotes. That 1:8 is really made for the heavies.

Jon

5. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

I've found the A-maxes to be more fragile than the Bergers. The midweight V-maxes should work well for you also. A lot of people swear by the 58 grain V-max as well. We haven't seen any splashes yet but the quartering-on shoulder shots may cause a problem. They are probably spinning far faster than they need to out of an eight twist but they seem to still be very accurate--and cheap too. lightbulb

6. soldierofchrist

soldierofchrist Member

70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips will come apart good

7. ChristoC

ChristoC Member

I use 55gr NosBalTips at 3780vt/s out of my .243. Some times the don't even go through a Jackal ore Caracal but entry damage is huge. For problem animal control that is what we look for.

Ballistic wise they are even better than .22-250 with 55gr's

8. 1100 Remington Man

1100 Remington Man Well-Known Member

Hornady 75gr HP old school bullet works great & I don't know why I quit useing it. I went to 85gr Sierra BTHP for dual use varmits & big game. I am shooting 6mm Rem,