6mm Rem. for long range 700 m - 1000 m ?

Kalashnikov

I have a Parker Hale 1200V with factory heavy barrel in 6mm Remington. It is a pet rifle, however the barrel twist (not sure what it is) likes only 70 grain and under bullets. I currently shoot 70 grain Sierra HPBM at 1/2 MOA. Is this a set up that will be worth shooting at ultra long range (700 m to 1000 m) or is it too light of a bullet ? Shooting my 300 RUM is getting too costly.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Parker Hale 1200V with factory heavy barrel in 6mm Remington. It is a pet rifle, however the barrel twist (not sure what it is) likes only 70 grain and under bullets. I currently shoot 70 grain Sierra HPBM at 1/2 MOA. Is this a set up that will be worth shooting at ultra long range (700 m to 1000 m) or is it too light of a bullet ? Shooting my 300 RUM is getting too costly.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You should measure the twist - not hard, use a cleaning rod and measure how many inches it takes to make one turn going in the barrel.

Also... what is it that you want to shoot at 700/1000yds??

Woodchucks or Elk?

The Sierra 70gr HPBT is not a particularly good bullet for long distance, and the 6mm is not a long range "game" cartridge.

For woodchucks, the 70gr Blitzking or 80gr Blitz SBT would be better choices, and 600-700 yds would be stretching it...

... for game animals at 700 yds, you need a hellova lot more rifle.

for p dogs you will kill them to the range that you can hit them. It wont be easy to consistancly hit them but will kill them @1k. maybe farther. at least a 22-250 with a 50gr. ballistic tip will. for deer I would keep kep it to the 400yars max.

The 6mm will do fine at 1000m as long as you are using the right bullets (100 grain to 107 grain) and youre not shooting at big game. A few people swear by the 243 AI for antelope and such, but most are sckeptical. As far as killing paper or vermin, it is a good round. Those 107 SMK's have a decent BC and you can drive em to about 3000 FPS. This is about on par with shooting a 308 palma load (except for the energy). You will need to check your twist to see if it will handle the longer 107's. If not, 100 grain SPBT work well too.

Good luck!

the 6mm rem has more than enough case capacity, barrel rate of twist is everything - 1-8 or 1-71/2 needed for 107's or 115's.
I built a 6mm 22-250 AI and it works extremely well with 105-107-115's. but barrel twist is 1-8 krieger, love the recoil over the 260 rem that I used last year for long range, am thinking of re-chambering 260 to AI. Good luck.

The 6mm combo is not for hunting big game, but primarily for long range practice. For long range big game, I use my 300 RUM sendero. Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.