6mm Partition Question

winmagman

When I first got my 243 win. I planned on using it as a long range coyote gun. Now I'm giving some thought to trying it on whitetails this year. So I picked up 3 boxes of 100 gr Nosler Partitions. What I'm wondering is how far out these will reliablly expand given a muzzle velocity around 2900 fps? Probably wouldn't go past 500 yds with the 243, but I would like to know if the Partitions are a good choice to that distance.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Personally I am not a big fan of the partition bullets at close or long range. Just never had good luck with them. If I were you I would look at the swift scirocco 90 gr. It has a better BC plus your muzzle velocity will be a bit higher. Expansion should be good at all ranges you intend to shoot. If you don't like that Idea the 100gr sierra SBT is an excellent choice also.

I have shot deer at 270 yards with the 95 gr NP at 3020 fps, and it plugged through no problem. Nosler Partitions leave a very distiguishable bloodtrail. I can say that I have never lost a deer shot with a NP with my 243, 2506 or 300WM. I have never recovered a bullet either.

This year I will be hunting with a new 243. It is a Sako Forester. I am shooting 85 gr NP @ 3420 fps. I don't think the deer will like this combo very much.

With my 2506, I shoot 100 gr NP at 3490 fps. This combo has taken several head from 25 feet out to only 95 yards. I have not been able to strech this one out. The deer fear it soo much they come closer out of respect I guess. LOL!

I just prefer the lighter bullets simply because the bullet design lends itself to penetration; therefore, I choose to boost my velocity as far as I accurately can. For East TX whitetails, I don't have to buck the wind or worry about anything too big for my 85 gr NP. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

Winmagman, I'll buck the prior inputs and thumbs down on the NP. I've had more blowups at close and medium ranges with the partition. The nose literally blew up leaving a fist size input hole on several mule deer. I'd try the new Swift Scirroco if it shoots well. Good luck.

My brother in law in Penns swears by the 100 gr. Seirra Game King (SBT). They have deer up there that look like Florida horses. Of course we're not talking about long range either. I am looking forward to testing them on FL deer this fall.

Go USF Bulls!!

We have taken a bunch of deer with that bullet out to 500 or so and no complaints. My son has taken 2 elk with that bullet at under 200 yds one bull and one cow.Both exited and the cow had both shoulders broken from that bullet and it left huge exit hole as I recall, We don't use anything else for game in our 6mm's. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts