6mm CM load development/bullet selection thoughts

Chris A Wright

I have read a variety of posts on this topic, but thought I would start a new one since many are dated.

I am working on load development for a 6 cm and in search of opinions. I want to select a bullet that will hold good accuracy at mid to longer ranges, say out to about 750 yards. Primarily will be shooting smaller game, not likely any larger than pigs/coyotes and mostly ground hogs.

I was looking at different bullets in the 85-95 grain category as to keep the speed up, but not be barrel burners and still have some good hold up to the wind.

I've been looking at the Berger Classic Hunter and wanted specific thoughts on those and a Sierra Gameking. Also any other thoughts are surely welcome.

Thanks!

I really like the 109 berger hybrid in my 6 creeds. It's got plenty of gas to push the 109s over 3100 if you want. Its very consistent and the bc in my 7 and 7.5 twists comes out higher than advertised. I got a .303 g7 in both barrels. For powders I've had really good luck with h4350 and rl-23.

I just worked up a new load for mine a few weeks ago. I went with the 88 gr hammer hunter, I'm getting 3369 fps. I had it over 3400 but the groups weren't as good. Last year I was using the 103 eldx at about 3150. I wasn't happy with bullet performance so I thought id try these. I haven't had a chance to use on critters yet.

87vmax end of discussion. One of the most effective bullets I've ever shot on small game/ coyotes.

108eldm if you want long distance work.

I don't recommend Hornady much to anyone these days (I normally shoot Bergers and now dabbling with hammers) but these two bullets just work.

87vmax end of discussion. One of the most effective bullets I've ever shot on small game/ coyotes.

108eldm if you want long distance work.

I don't recommend Hornady much to anyone these days (I normally shoot Bergers and now dabbling with hammers) but these two bullets just work.
I know the eld m work well. I like the thoughts of the v max, just have read quite a bit about accuracy issues with them, especially beyond 400 yards or so, which was why I was curious about the bergers

I know the eld m work well. I like the thoughts of the v max, just have read quite a bit about accuracy issues with them, especially beyond 400 yards or so, which was why I was curious about the bergers
400 is about its range IME. For stuff beyond that 108/109 range is what I'd be looking at.

I have read a variety of posts on this topic, but thought I would start a new one since many are dated.

I am working on load development for a 6 cm and in search of opinions. I want to select a bullet that will hold good accuracy at mid to longer ranges, say out to about 750 yards. Primarily will be shooting smaller game, not likely any larger than pigs/coyotes and mostly ground hogs.

I was looking at different bullets in the 85-95 grain category as to keep the speed up, but not be barrel burners and still have some good hold up to the wind.

I've been looking at the Berger Classic Hunter and wanted specific thoughts on those and a Sierra Gameking. Also any other thoughts are surely welcome.

Thanks!
Chris -

Howdy !

I shoot a 6mm wildcat of my own design, that has case capacity just a tad less then that of the 6CM.

My rifle has a 29" SS Broughton 1-8.

For use on groundhogs, I have favored use of ( initially ) the Sierra 95 Matchking, but went over to use of their 95T-MK.

I have long used 450 ft lbs, as a quide on minimum terminal energy
I want to be able to put on a " Soybeanus Digestus " @ distance.

My rifle / ammo gives me that level of energy through 1,000yd; should the need arise. I used RL-22 and FED Large Magnum Rifle Match for some years, but am now working on trial loads using RL-23, RL-25 & and RL-26. Those are said to be temp insensitive, and can give me high load density. Again.... I'll be using the 95T-MK with whichever of those powders give me best accuracy.

With regards,
357Mag

I

Not sure where the "87 Vmax past 400 yards" rumors are coming from…. but I've put a lot of dogs in the dirt with 87s well past that 400 yard mark.

I typically run handloaded 87s for coyotes and other misc shooting, and run 103 Factory ELDX for punching tags. The 103s and 87s shoot to the same POI, so bouncing back and forth is as simple as changing which profile is in the Sig 6ks.

Last edited: