6mm 95/105vld on elk?

I just got back from Co. my self and witnessed by friend shoot a 6x7 640 yards with his 6mmx 284. He shoots a 100 grain nosler solid base , was able to buy a few k before they quit making them. This was his 22 nd bull elk since he has been hunting co and wy. since 1978. He has always uses a 6mm -284 and of course he is a great shot. His theroy the shock and damage it delivers is why it is as efficient. His advise to me before we left was that many guys go west and cripple or miss with a large 30 cal so they have to really do it big by gone bigger in gun next time which is the wrong direction to go. I know we read many great threads on the 30's and 338's but i cant harly argue with a man that has 22 bulls under his belt.
mike

i think bud martin is right on with his opinion. the small calibers might work for some at some distances. but what happens when a guy with a 6x284 suddenly spots a nice bull at 1000 yds. or even further. they arent even good deer rifles at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.