6mm 105 gr Hybrid

BEEMAN

Did a search on here but didn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone have on game experience with the 105 Hybrid? Mainly whitetail. I built a 6 Dasher hunting gun for deer out to 4-500 yds. I ordered 500 pieces of the hunting version but the supplier got me Hybrids. I'm in Canada so sourcing these isn't that easy. Should I take the 105 gr Hybrid? This is only a hunting gun and will also shoot steel for practice. My only concern is that they won't expand.

I have a 243AI that has over 30 kills all with 105 hybrids at 3150fps. Ive killed deer, elk, bear and its an antelope killing machine. It kills antelope like lightning and I have never had anything but excellent performance from up close out to almost 900yds.

We have shot two antelope and three Mule deer with them from a .243. Lopes were right at 500 yards, two deer at 380 and one at 664 yards. All absolute drop in their tracks! Mine is a 1 in8 twist, it's an amazing rifle with 105 Hybrids.
Ceder.

One of if not the best ultra long range bullets ever made...I see amazing groups shot under benchrest competition out to 1000 yards with them...great bullet and it doesn't take long to call the roll in it's class..

Thanks for the information guys! That makes me feel better. I will contact my supplier and tell him I'll take the 105 Hybrids. I will be using the 6 Dasher for a antelope hunt in October. Got drawn for non resident in Wyoming. This is a short barreled Dasher at 22". But from what other guys posted on accurate shooter I should get over 2800 fps no problem.

I just got back from NM on a pronghorn hunt.
6CM, 24" 1:7.5", 105 Hybrid @ 3101fps.
Shot was somewhere around 440ish. Remaining velocity was somewhere near 2525fps w. 1485ft/lbs.

Shot was a bit low, as I could not range him, but had to range a yucca he was behind @ 410. I guess I misjudged how far behind it he was. I could only see the top of his back, as there was a 2' swell about 200 yards out. I dialed 1.2MIL (430 yard hold). Held where I figured I should, knowing I had 19" of drop at 430. Touched off the shot, and he dropped like a meteor. POI was about 3" lower than I wanted, but broke the onside leg, and liquified the heart with a huge hole into the chest cavity after hitting the leg bone. The bullet stopped just under the offside skin, actually just starting to tear through.

POI

Offside

Onside entrance to body cavity after breaking front leg

Mushroomed pretty well

Weight retention

The buck

Last edited:
Yup. That's NM. Congrats lance. Nice buck

I've had better luck with hybrids over Hvlds. Enjoy

Joe

I'd also like to know what differences you seen between the hybrid and the hunting version.

Nothing super scientific. Everything I've killed with hybrids have been dead right there. We had to track most animals with the HVLDs from both 6mm and 6.5mm. I bought 1000 168gr HVLD to try in my new 7 saum. We'll see how they do.

Joe

I have a 243AI that has over 30 kills all with 105 hybrids at 3150fps. Ive killed deer, elk, bear and its an antelope killing machine. It kills antelope like lightning and I have never had anything but excellent performance from up close out to almost 900yds.
All good news. I'm having my Brux 26" 8 twist barrel re chambered to 243AI and I too want to use the 105 hybrid instead of the 105 VLDs. What powder do find works best. I've had good success with RE23 in the 243 Win. I assume it should work well in the AI ??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts