6mm-06 or AI version info. ?

I do not have any specific data right off hand but I have built both of these for customers and can tell you that for anything lighter then a 107 gr SMK, the 6-06 AI is just to much of a good thing.

The standard 6-06 will be much better suited for the bullets you want to shoot but even then, for 75 gr pills, its alot of rifle but much more practical then the AI version.

The AI will certainly work but with the lighter bullets you will not see much of a velocity gain over the standard version.

If you wanted to shoot some of the new 115 or 117 gr bullets or some of the custom 120 gr Wildcats when they are available then I would say the 06 AI would be a more practical choice.

Problem with many of the current bullets we have in 6mm is that we are already pushing them past the design limits as far as velocity goes. Choosing barrel rifling design becomes critical as does twist rate to allow the use of the sull potential of these big 6mm rounds.

Now with bullets such as the 95 gr BT there really is no limit to worry about. Only problem with these is that they are pretty light to make these big capacity 6mm rounds perform consistantly. They will work but the heavier the better in these two rounds.

Kirby Allen(50)

I know this isn't the 6mm-06 but i have a 6mm WSM and it has a larger case capicity than either of the ones you are asking about. I use the Barnes 85 XLC at a vel. of 3850! It's very accurate and a blast to shoot/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's not picky at all, just about everything i have run through it, it likes.

I think you would be fine with either one you want.

Lovetohunt,

You just added to my comments. The 6-284 will drive a 95 gr Ballistic Tip to 3700 fps easily in most barrels of at least 28". Thats 10 grains heavier bullet then your using and only 150 fps less velocity.

With 107 gr SMKs I have personally pushed my 6-284 to an legit 3600 fps in the 30" Lilja with great results and five firings per case. But I backed her down to 3500 fps just to sleep better at night thinking the bore would last longer.

My point, the 6-06 and 6-06 AI would probably match your 6mm WSM right to the fps but with less powder. Not flaming your rifle in any way but the lighter the bullet, the easier time the smaller rounds have of keeping pace with the larger capacity rounds.

You would very likely have more of a velocity edge with heavier bullets as mentioned already.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem with these is that they are pretty light to make these big capacity 6mm rounds perform consistantly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kirby,

I agree that the heavier the bullet the bigger the difference. But even with a bigger case capicity than the 6mm-06AI my 6mm WSM is very CONSISTENT. SD is excellent as are the groups.

By the way, the 3850fps is mild in my rifle. Could go 3950 to 4000fps if I want, but no need.

Here's a link with some load data (not mine). No AI though.

Loads

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way...you can click on the bullet weight, type of bullet, or powder.

I hope this helps.

John

Thanks for the imput.

I guess a 6-06 w/ the middle weight bullets is just a little too much of a good thing.
Thinking pretty hard on a 22 middlested.

check out this link: web page Its a 243 catbird which is almost the same a the Al with a 35 degree shoulder. It list the middle weight bullets your were asking about.

Just kinda curious why you have just blown off my post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lovestohunt,

The short fat powder column may be the reason for your consistancy over what I have seen with the long skinny 06 versions with light bullets.

I have had alot of interest in a 6mm Allen Magnum and I was going to build one on the WSM case with a few changes and use bullets in the 110 to 120 grain range from Wildcat Bullets. I may have to dig deeper into this idea now that I have heard your results.

Interesting!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,

You have a good point.
I do think the wsm case would make a good 6mm Allen Magnum with the heavier bullets also. My barrel is a 29" 3-groove Pac-Nor. I have taken your advise on my overbore cal. and use ball powders. In the 6mm WSM I use Ramshot Mag. with great results.

If I could get some of those heavy Wildcat bullets I would be glad to do some testing for you before you make up your mind on a 6 Allen Magnum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Richard should be getting his 6mm dies up and running here soon so I may take you up on that offer. What twist do you have in the pac-nor?

Kirby Allen(50)

Partagas,

You are close with your information and you are perfectly safe in most cases to use starting loads for the 240 Wby in the 6-06.

However, the 240 Wby is not the same case as an '06 with a belt added to it. In fact, the belt on the 240 Wby case is roughly the same diameter as the diameter of the '06 case. They are listed as 0.472" diameter for the head of the '06 and the belt diameter of the 240 Wby.

The actual body diameter of the 240 Wby is actually 0.453" in diameter however so it is measureable smaller in diameter then the '06 case and as such does not have the internal capacity of the '06. That is why the starting loads for the smaller capacity 240 Wby are perfectly safe in the 6-06.

I have always found Norma made Wby cases to be very soft as well not allowing long case life using high pressure loadings.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,

It has a 10 twist which may not work with the 120s for accuracy but would like to see the velocity potential. I have alot of the slow to ultra slow ball powders on hand that should work good with the heavier bullets. Also have an Ohler 35 that would be able to give good feed back with vel. and SD.

I would guess you could get 3400-3500 fps with the 110-120 grainers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.