6C NM bull with my muzzle loader. First time

marioq

Here is my story about my first muzzle loader kill ever. Last year I hunted the Valle Calderas, 6B, in New Mexico. This was a rifle hunt. I met a great friend named Mick Trujillo. We stayed in communication this whole year. He advised me to put in for 6C.
I followed his instruction, and when I was drawn for 6C, I found it was a muzzleloader hunt. With that in mind, I went out to buy a muzzle loader. I bought a Thompson Center Triumph. I topped it with a 3 x 9 scope and began practicing. Using the vast knowledge of Encore here on the forum, I began practicing and working up a load. Before the season, I was able to shoot a 250 grain Barnes bullet 1.25 inches at 100 yards for a group of three. This was acceptable for me and I plan to go on the hunt.

I drove from Nevada up to New Mexico with my hunting partner Chris and met my buddy Wildrose At the camp. We began our first day scouting. The bugles were beautiful to hear. We located three different bulls on a mountainside. With that in mind we went home and got ready for the morning hunt.

We got on the mountain before dark and typical of our luck got slightly lost as we miss-directed our path away from our reflecting markers. We backtracked and got on the right path. We were later than we wanted to be, however this was very fortuitous. We came around The southside of a peek and into a saddle. I heard a bugle and looked at Chris and told him "that sounds really close." 10 seconds later he screamed again and was even closer. I removed my backpack and my gloves and began to walk into the saddle. Five seconds later I saw his shiny white tips cresting the saddle. I went down to one knee and went up against a tree and cocked my Triumph. He came around the tree standing quartering to me and stopped. I centered the reticle on his chest and pulled the trigger. The smoke was everywhere. I stood to see him running away.

I went to the point of impact and sat for 30 minutes. I did not hear anything. We search for blood and sound no blood. I then backtracked and waited and we had a discussion. I did not hear any more bugles and so decided to work the front north face of the mountain where he ran. We followed the minimal footprints that were available as the ground was hard packed. There where periodic fresh steps that were identified. We proceeded to follow these and lo and behold the elk was found down.

By this time it was noon and we marked the area and proceeded down the mountain to unpack and get some help. We came back and quartered him out clean them up and found that the 250 grain Barnes bullet entered the chest cavity double lung shot was seen and the bullet tracked down the offside skin after hitting a rib and fragmenting a little. The bullet was found 92% weight retention and the pictures are attached.

I did not score the bull yet, but I will. The trip was an amazing adventure. Not only did I finally get to meet Wild Rose face-to-face, I introduced a friend from here into elk hunting and got him Addicted.I was also able to build new friendships that I hope will be lifelong. It was interesting that no blood came from this high longshot. Even where the Bull fell there was no blood. It is just an amazing experience to have a bull 36 yards and shoot him with the muzzleloader. This rush makes me want to bow hunt and muzzle hunt even more for the proximity of the game.

Thanks for reading!!!!! Thanks brother rose!!! And brother Chris!!!

Elk.JPG
elk 2.JPG
elk 3.JPG
elk 4.JPG
elk 5.JPG

Attachments

• Elk.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 152
  • elk 2.jpg
    elk 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 152
  • elk 3.jpg
    elk 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138
  • elk 4.jpg
    elk 4.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 164
  • elk 5.jpg
    elk 5.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Mario, looks like a great hunt. Will you try another muzzle loader hunt next year?

Congrats to Mario. This was one of the few animals I've seen that actually got bigger every time you looked at it up close vs ground shrinkage.

Fortunately it was a pack out of just over a half mile because this is very steep terrain with mostly broken granite for footing vs any real soil.

Mario and Chris had to do quite a job of tracking to find this bull even though it was a short run. As soon as he left the broken granite, he was into a dense thicket of regrowth (post burn) Aspen saplings. You could not see the downed bull at all till you were within about 5-10 feet of it.

We worked our butts off dressing and packing him out. Where he fell there was no way to move him at all so we just worked one side then rolled him and did the other after removing a few of the saplings.

It was a great experience for myself in many ways. I'd been on 3 prior elk hunts when I was young but that was over 30 years ago. I'd spent a great deal of time in this part of NM having grown up only a few hours away and a dad who loved to trout fish so in many ways it was like a trip back home.

Not only did I finally get to meet Mario face to face and his partner Chris who's also a great guy I made several new friends including connecting with someone from my extended family I'd never met before who is also a friend of Mario's.

All I can say is if you ever get a chance to share a hunt with Mario jump at it. whether you bring home a tag or a truck full of meat you will have the time of your life.

He definitely has me hooked on the idea of a muzzle loader elk hunt in the future as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.