650 yard Antelope

Aking

My younger brother shot his buck last night. He shot him in the butt at 650 yards. and then had to finish him off at 300
I filmed it but here it is.
I have already got criticism but this can be looked at as a learning curve as well. He has practiced 600 yards at the range before. I did notice a rush into the shot. But in the field it can be a little different, he could have got a little steadier. But in the end he was able to harvest this antelope. And the video serves as a good memory of it.

Last edited:
After watching it again it appears as if that was a cut away instead of the actual shot. Audio seems to be different between the two.

After watching it again it appears as if that was a cut away instead of the actual shot. Audio seems to be different between the two.
Yeah I filmed it on two different devices. And I have very little editing experience, I was unsure how to merge the two clips to make them sound better.

I wouldn't be too happy about that. At 650 yds you have lots of time to setup for a good shot. It looked like the shot was rushed and the shooter was not experienced enough to know not to put the barrel on the front rest. I would say not too ethical of a shot to me. I also would suggest not posting that video as it could make the sport look less than awesome.

I wouldn't be too happy about that. At 650 yds you have lots of time to setup for a good shot. It looked like the shot was rushed and the shooter was not experienced enough to know not to put the barrel on the front rest. I would say not too ethical of a shot to me. I also would suggest not posting that video as it could make the sport look less than awesome.

Agreed. Obvious inexperience and a poor shot resulted. I'm glad the animal was recovered.

So you have never misplaced a shot? At 650 he was still hit in the vitals, be it way back in the guts, and killed the antelope. They don't all fall motionless even with perfect shot placement. The kid probably feels bad enough he misplaced the shot but he was able to overcome and do his job. Good on him.

Hopefully he learned it is more than just point and shoot and that there can be consequences if the shot isn't right. But to stand on your soap box and call ethics violation? I am calling bs there.

So you have never misplaced a shot? At 650 he was still hit in the vitals, be it way back in the guts, and killed the antelope. They don't all fall motionless even with perfect shot placement. The kid probably feels bad enough he misplaced the shot but he was able to overcome and do his job. Good on him.

Hopefully he learned it is more than just point and shoot and that there can be consequences if the shot isn't right. But to stand on your soap box and call ethics violation? I am calling bs there.
Thanks I agree. I only posted about it cuz he loves the antelope he shot. And it is a great memory. It was still ethical we didn't make him suffer. And everyone has misplaced shots sometimes a great learning experience

So you have never misplaced a shot? At 650 he was still hit in the vitals, be it way back in the guts, and killed the antelope.

My younger brother shot his buck last night. He shot him in the butt at 650 yards haha. and then had to finish him off at 300.

No one is arguing that misplaced shots don't happen. I think the issue is that from what footage is shown, it seems 650 yards may have been outside of this hunter's comfortable shooting range. Plus, the OP stated the shot hit the buck in the butt, not guts (or vitals). I'm aware you can kill animals by hitting the femoral arteries, but it's not a shot most choose to make. I'm sure it was a learning experience, and like I said, I'm glad he was able to recover the animal.

No one is arguing that misplaced shots don't happen. I think the issue is that from what footage is shown, it seems 650 yards may have been outside of this hunter's comfortable shooting range. Plus, the OP stated the shot hit the buck in the butt, not guts (or vitals). I'm aware you can kill animals by hitting the femoral arteries, but it's not a shot most choose to make. I'm sure it was a learning experience, and like I said, I'm glad he was able to recover the animal.

I was going by what I saw in the video. It looks to me like impact was in front of the hams and right into the guts. The way that buck ran off, a butt shot would have had to miss every bone in there.

You can tell, from one shot, that hunters ability? I can tell, from that one shot, that they have practiced the method with dad getting behind and offering support. I also noticed that the gun is doped meaning somebody had to shoot it that far to confirm. i see a rushed position with the tripod on the barrel, but otherwise I saw a very well planned shot. I do not see the obvious inexperience you marked the young man with.

I was going by what I saw in the video. It looks to me like impact was in front of the hams and right into the guts. The way that buck ran off, a butt shot would have had to miss every bone in there.

You can tell, from one shot, that hunters ability? I can tell, from that one shot, that they have practiced the method with dad getting behind and offering support. I also noticed that the gun is doped meaning somebody had to shoot it that far to confirm. i see a rushed position with the tripod on the barrel, but otherwise I saw a very well planned shot. I do not see the obvious inexperience you marked the young man with.

I have a very high regard for the animals I hunt. I guess what got me to comment on the original post was that it was "funny" that it was shot in the butt stating "haha!" That was my problem. Any of us can waive the flag and comment on anything on this forum. If I saw someone do that in the field I would likely try to use it as a coaching experience because it's not about how far we can shoot it's more of is this shot the hunter is about to make an ethical, high probability shot for the environmental conditions, and within the hunters abilities and equipment. It seems like those questions were not asked in this video with this shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.