600 yard deer rifle

Hello all,I'm in need of much help.I would like to find a 600 yard deer rifle right out of the box.I'm thinking maybe a sendero sf II chambered in 300 win mag.What do you think????? I have about $1,500 to work with:D

6.5x 284 personal preference, i don't really care for 300 win mag,but then 7mm ultra 7mm stw 7mm rem mag will anchor any deer out there at 600 yards. i guess the appropriate ? is are you only going to use this for deer or are u planning to use it on bigger game as well. that would be my determining factor.

Well the 300 will certainly do the job at 600 yds, however you'll be taking more of a beating than you need to.

If you truely intend to stay inside 600 yds you can get it done with a 260, 7-08, 308. If you think you'll be stretching things after a while then you may want to look at the .270, 30-06, or the 270/7mm WSMs. All of these will be kinder to the shoulder than the 300WM.

On the other hand, if you really want the 300, by all means get one.:D

Chris

Well i thank you for your in put.And yes will also be doing some blackbare hunting to.I wouldn't mind a 308 win but people have been telling me that it's not a good bear gun.I do shoot off a ridge over looking a 200 yard wide by 700 yards long clear cut between two swamps.Do you think that a 308 will pack a enough punch to take a bear at that range??gun)

Well.......If were going to add bear and stretch things to 700 yds, I personally would go a little bigger than the 308 case. Something on the 06 or WSM case, I still don't think your in the "need a 300WM" range, getting closer though:D

Chris

Chris thank you for your input.But I will Not 700 yards because after 630 yards it's noting but swamp bogs and it starts geting thick with slashings .And the one thing that i want in the rifle is that it's going to drop them..So what do you think about a 300 wsm??.is the 300 win mag the same as the 300 wsm??.sorry about the dumb ? but I dont know the difference:)

sorry about the dumb ? but I dont know the difference

No such thing as a dumb question here, we all started in the same place:)

The 300 WSM will fill the bill, the only advantage the 300 WM has over the WSM is with the heavier bullets, say 200 grs and up, which you really wouldn't need for deer and bear inside 650 yds.

I'd look at the 7mm WSM over the 300WSM, plenty of gun for deer and bear, better BC for bullets between 140 and 180 grs, and a little less recoil, but thats just my personal preference.

Chris

Well I apprecaite it chris.only one more thing the Sendero doesn't have a 7mm WSM.but they do have a 7mm mag what do you think about that?Buy the way sorry about all the questions.you have been a tremendous help thank you verry much:D

Not a darn thing wrong with the 7 mag, does the same thing in 7mm that the 300 WM does in .308, gives you a little more flexability with the heavier bullets if you ever need/want to use them.

I don't mind the questions, with 800+ posts you can bet I've asked my share of them, It's kinda nice to finally be able to answer a few.:D

Chris

Last edited:
I would go with the 7mm Remington over the 300 WM. I have not owned a 300 WM but have owned a .308 Norma (nearly equal the 300 win) and a 7mm Rem and I hands down would take the 7 any day. Higher B.C and lighter recoil, with enough punch to be a very capable on most North American game.

Well let tell you all have been a grate help in my next rifle.I'm somewhat new to the long range hunting.And it's makes my next step that much easier when I have someone helping like you have.So thanks agian.By the way I got in to the long range hunting about a year ago and the only rifle that i used was a 308 norma magnum and the ammo was a 180gr swift A frame with a BC .377 and pushing 2953 at the muzzle.But I have shot the barrle out of the poor thing.So it's time to find a toy...

Chris thank you for your input.But I will Not 700 yards because after 630 yards it's noting but swamp bogs and it starts geting thick with slashings .And the one thing that i want in the rifle is that it's going to drop them..So what do you think about a 300 wsm??.is the 300 win mag the same as the 300 wsm??.sorry about the dumb ? but I dont know the difference:)

First thing you need to do is get out and practice at that range because from your posts it would seem that you are rather inexperienced and there is nothing worse than sending an animal to a painful demise because the shooter was not proficient. Just remember it is much more important where you hit them than what you hit them with!!!

308NormaMag:
The Remington Sendero would be a great choice for an out of the box long range rig. Your choice in the 7mm or 30 cal....mag or short mag. All good choices.

The next thing on your shopping list is going to be optics. Make you sure you have a good scope...Leupold, Sightron etc.

Also, practice, practice, practice. Never ending practice. Somebody has got to do it!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.