6.8 western round ?

Kelljp

Looking at purchasing a new deer rifle for whitetail, and the gun store I frequent is big on the Winchester 6.8 western.
Has anybody had any experience with this round, was wondering has there been any reloading data posted.

Hodgdon data:
Very, very close to a 270 WSM but with a fast twist barrel for heavy bullets. I'd buy one in a factory rifle. It kind of fills a niche in the factory rifle category.

I can't imagine spending money on a custom build. 7mm of some sort if going custom.

1639064216364.png

Previous thread

Last edited:
Basically it's a 270WSM that has a faster twist to shoot heavies (160+ grain bullets). I think of it as a slightly more efficient 7mmRM.

Seems to ge a good cartridge, but I don't know that it offers much to the handloader that isnt available elsewhere.

It's definitely way more power than needed for whitetail unless you are reaching way out there with it.

Or go crazy with .270Win with Rem700 LA to max COAL, faster twist 1:8, longer barrel, added freebore for longer heavies and voila! You have a .270 that is as ballistically same or better than the 6.8 Western. Plus standard .270 Win brass and other components.

Well we take our elk & deer every year with a 260 Rem, 6.5 x55, 6.5x06. Bullets are 120 to 125 gr copper mono's. Never lost an elk . The proper bullet for the game, plus accurate placement of the bullet is primary. The 6.5x55 which came out in 1893 has taken most every type of game on the planet. A new cartridge with a catchy name is used to get some one to buy. Think it thru with wisdom & buy smart. Most any 24, 25, 26 cal etc will work.

Looking at purchasing a new deer rifle for whitetail, and the gun store I frequent is big on the Winchester 6.8 western.
Has anybody had any experience with this round, was wondering has there been any reloading data posted.
It is easy to get hyped up on BOUTIQUE rounds but, for most uses, I just don't get it.

How far away are you shooting? Rounds like this one and the various "magnums" are overkill for most people hunting deer. You don't need a ~140gr at 3000+ FPS to humanely take a deer at realistic distances for most of us.

Where I grew up, a lever-action 30-30 was a lot of rifle for deer. So is a World War One bolt action in 30-06.

Anything from a 6.5x55 Swede to a 308W/30-06 will anchor a deer anywhere I hunt. Personally, right now with ammunition shortages, I would be very hesitant to have a primary hunting rifle in something that isn't a well established mainstream caliber.

Hammering the size deer I see at ~100yards with one of these uber-boutique cartridges will just blood shot a lot more meat. My Winchetster push-feed model 70 FW in 7 Mauser will drive tacks and is really easy on the shoulder. Deer won't notice the difference in it versus something else assuming you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Hard to say but with the number of short mags and compact mags that have faded into obscurity in the last 20 years you very well may be farther ahead with a the standard 270 Winchester. If you like a savage 110 it's not very expensive to get a match grade barrel and swap it. Swapping the bolt face is fairly inexpensive as well if you wanted to go to a mag bolt face from standard or vice versa.

Agreed with previous posts. Unless going to 5-600+ there is not much benefit over a standard cartridge. Mostly on paper. However. If you like things that go boom a little better/faster get it. I own a couple of 26 noslers precisely for that reason out west. But honestly when i have been rifle hunting east of missisippi, i have carried 270 win, .243 win and .44 mag.

Yes, if a fast-twist 270 floats your boat and you can find the brass/ammo that you need for the foreseeable future, then go for it. And if you prefer to go with a factory option for a fast twist 270, there are not any other options readily available right now. But there are plenty of 264, 277 and 284 options that will kill deer near and far.