6.8 Western or 300WSM

Don't think I'll ever own another Short Mag since I have had nothing but problems with them. Only animal I have ever had run after being shot was a whitetail deer shot with a .300 WSM and have had problems with feeding in both rifles of that caliber I have owned. One a Ruger M77 .300 WSM and a Remington 700 SPS in .300 WSM. Got rid of the Ruger and am planning on getting rid of the Remington. I have shifted to the 7MM Rem Mag/.30-06/ and .300 Win Mag for my primary choices.
Go to a Center feed. Problems solved.

Don't think I'll ever own another Short Mag since I have had nothing but problems with them. Only animal I have ever had run after being shot was a whitetail deer shot with a .300 WSM and have had problems with feeding in both rifles of that caliber I have owned. One a Ruger M77 .300 WSM and a Remington 700 SPS in .300 WSM. Got rid of the Ruger and am planning on getting rid of the Remington. I have shifted to the 7MM Rem Mag/.30-06/ and .300 Win Mag for my primary choices.
The short mags are not your problem. What would be your next conclusion as to why you've had problems with them??

Follow up to my other post…

I work at a local gun shop. The 300 WSM is dead in terms of sales (both ammo & guns).

6.8 Western is selling like hotcakes at a local fund raiser. Can't keep the guns in stock.

I have a 6.8 in a Browning Xbolt Western Hunter with 24" barrel. It easily runs 2925fps with Berger 170 EOL's in the .3-.4's and will Mag feed. It is absolutely set up correctly from a SAAMI standpoint. Performance is fantastic for such a small case using these high b/c bullets. If you want similar performance out of a SAAMI 300 WSM, you have a lot of work to do. Fix the throating, extend the mag box etc. When the 300 is "fixed" or correctly set up to run high b/c bullets, it's the clear winner at that point. But SAMMI to SAAMI, the 6.8 wins imho.

I would go 6.8W. It has similar ballistics to 300 WSM in a lower recoil package. I have had a few 300wsms in lighter rifles and didnt like it, particularly with heavier bullets. My 6.8W is mild recoil by comparison. Possibly just my personal threshold. When went back to heavier 300s just went back to standard 300 WM. However The 300 WSM will be around for awhile because it was the 6.5CM/PRC if the early 2000s. People forget that but it was enormously popular for a while then petered out as trends change. The 6.8W I expect will be around too, at least the hunting side of it. I doubt it will gain in the targety bullet side of things but never know. The new military 6.8 may push a lot more in that direction

Lou

The short mags are not your problem. What would be your next conclusion as to why you've had problems with them??
Failure to feed properly out of doube stacked magazines is a problem that's been with the WSM and WSSSM's since they first came onto the mart.

A single feed mag solves most of those problems but I do know of a few guys that had to also have some work done on the feed ramp to get them to load even from the single feed mag's reliably.

I would go 6.8W. It has similar ballistics to 300 WSM in a lower recoil package. I have had a few 300wsms in lighter rifles and didnt like it, particularly with heavier bullets. My 6.8W is mild recoil by comparison. Possibly just my personal threshold. When went back to heavier 300s just went back to standard 300 WM. However The 300 WSM will be around for awhile because it was the 6.5CM/PRC if the early 2000s. People forget that but it was enormously popular for a while then petered out as trends change. The 6.8W I expect will be around too, at least the hunting side of it. I doubt it will gain in the targety bullet side of things but never know. The new military 6.8 may push a lot more in that direction

Lou
But the Military is not going to the 6.8 Western, they are Trying the Sig Fury and using a completely different composite case that can't even be reloaded.

That's never been the case with our military rifle cartridges for more than 140 years.

I was mainly talking about bullets not cartridge. A military 6.8 will drive target bullets that can be used in other 6.8s/270s. No difference than other calibers. The 277 sig fury is not composite and is reloadable. The true velocity is composite and I think the other entry is too.

I meant to say the 277 sig fury is composite and it is reloadable. Only the base is different. Bunch of info out there on this. The truevelocity and other round in running are polymer. I dont know if there is way to reload these or not. In any case any will drive tactical/target bullets that can be used in other 270s.

I own both. The 6.8 shows promise of being a dream. It is extremely responsive to the "Reloaders Touch" I have fired impressive groups with several loads and bullet weights. The 300 WSM is a prove performer. The availability of quality brass(at this time) is the ONLY downfall to the 6.8 Western. you can read my review on MossyOak.com

I was mainly talking about bullets not cartridge. A military 6.8 will drive target bullets that can be used in other 6.8s/270s. No difference than other calibers. The 277 sig fury is not composite and is reloadable. The true velocity is composite and I think the other entry is too.
Yep I got little sloppy and left out the True Velocity.

As for the Fury I'm not sure it's going to be one that can be reloaded because it's proprietary case with a steel case head base magically married to the brass body piece.

I also suspect with the 80K pressure they aren't going to be big on releasing it to the public simply due to liability issues.

I have a 6.8 in a Browning Xbolt Western Hunter with 24" barrel. It easily runs 2925fps with Berger 170 EOL's in the .3-.4's and will Mag feed. It is absolutely set up correctly from a SAAMI standpoint. Performance is fantastic for such a small case using these high b/c bullets. If you want similar performance out of a SAAMI 300 WSM, you have a lot of work to do. Fix the throating, extend the mag box etc. When the 300 is "fixed" or correctly set up to run high b/c bullets, it's the clear winner at that point. But SAMMI to SAAMI, the 6.8 wins imho.

We run the 300WSM 200 gr ELDX and 210 Bergers right at 2900-2930 with no issues. SAAMI! No extra mods required. Don't think the 6.8 has anything over that!