6.5x65 RWS

Yrcan

Hello good people.

Some years ago I purchased a Tikka M695 in the great caliber 6.5x55 SM.
After a while, I wanted more down range power, so I made my gunsmith open it up to accept 6.5x65 RWS cartridges.
I have shot more than 200 deer with this gun, and I have also started shooting long range with it. I mostly use 140 grs Accubond for hunting, and 139 grs Scenar for paper and steel.
I have shot it out to 1777 yards on ice, but the wind made it hard to shoot a good group. Vertical spread was zero.
I am planning on shooting the 140 grs Berger VLD Match next year, and push it even further.
Longest kill on deer is 685 yards. Shot a high shoulder shot, the Accubond went straight thru, cutting the spine, leaving the deer right there.

Had some fun with it sunday, and filmed it, thought I'd post it for you.
I'll post more later, when I shoot further away :)

This was shot on ice at 1257 yards, using the 139 grs Scenar. Mv is 3117 f/s.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDHjSS2NTU]6.5x65 RWS going wild.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

I use Vith N570 powder.
The case can take 64 grs of 570, which is similar to H1000.
This gives me a MV of 3281 f/s.

Normally I use 58 grs of 570, that gives me 2952 f/s, and is my "normal" load.
It is a very accurate combination, and there is little to no recoil.
I use a Kahles 624I scope.

Hmmmmmmm let me think on this.
1 RWS brass +1000
2 6.5 bullets + 1000
3 3300+ velocity +1000
Yep battin a 1000
What is the barrel length? Are you using RWS brass?How good is it?Never had the chance to use it myself but have heard it makes Lapua look weak for durability. WOW. Headin to RWS wesite now.

A 1000 what??? :)

My barrel is 30 inches long.
I use RWS brass, cause they are the only one who makes it in this caliber. Brass life is long, I have 28 reloadings on my cases, and they are doing well. I have been experimenting alot with velocities, and destroyed some brass because of high pressure. But if loaded with Norma MRP, using 52 grs, it will last a very long time, and barrel life will be 2000+.
This barrel is now on 2400 rounds, accuracy is same as it was when new, but I am waiting for it to go bad. My new barrel will be 34 inches.

It is a great caliber, and it outperforms all the other standard 6.5mm cartridges, like 6.5-06, 6.5-284 and so on.

I found very little information on RWS website when I got this caliber, I have sort of made my own loads, and they work well. After I started publishing my results from hunting and shooting here in Norway, many has chambered their rifles in it, and are very happy. RWS brass is expencive, at least here in Norway, but powder and bullets are cheap, so it is a economic long range cartridge. And it goes a long way. I will try to push the 140 grs Berger VLD out to 2000 meters, next year. Should be doable.

$1.60 a pop for brass. Not bad for good stuff. Ive been toying with some RWS wildcats just for the brass. This caliber had slipped my notice. Thanks for bringing it up. This necked up to 7mm might be a ton o fun too.
Im thinkin BABY STW with awesome brass. HMMMM. Thinking costs me money!

Wow the only way I would get 28 loads from my RUM based stuff is if I used 7 peices of brass instead of 1. Im too obstinate to follow the leader and build on lapua and I havent got the new bertram edge brass yet so this looks like a lotta fun. Cant wait to tell the next 30-30 or 270 totin redneck that asks what the hell one of my guns are " its a 7mm-6.5x65 rws MAGNUM! LMAO! tiring a long time agoTelling them "a 338-300 ultra" got too tiring long ago so when everyone started calling them an edge it got easier. Of course now they wanna know what the heck an "EDGE" is, so back to square one. This should confuse them so thouroughly that they leave me alone.

I am very interested in more about this. I have just bought some 6.5x65 brass for my 6.5 Sherman. I have only fireformed a few so far and it seems to be some really tough stuff. The Sherman chamber increases case capacity from 68gr water to 74 so your data should be good for mine.

Are your bullets staying supersonic at 1770yds?
What is your cartridge oal?

I have been testing some 155gr bullets this year, any experience with something in that weight?

Cliff

My bullets are supersonic out to 1312 yards.
Coal is 3.54 inches with the 140 grs Berger VLD.

I have only been shooting 120-130 and 140 grain bullets, they are the only ones in 6.5mm that have any good bc.
The heavier hunting bullets don't fly ;)

I have some 123gr that I want to try, Do you use a faster powder with the lighter bullets?

I used a 155gr vld with a bc of .646 this year, didn't get a chance to shoot anything farther than 350yds. They proved to be a bit too aggressive at the closer ranges.

Cliff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.