6,5x55 dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by trazman, Oct 15, 2013.

1. trazman

trazman Well-Known Member

I am getting a new barrel for my blaser rifle in 6,5x55. Which dies do you think i should get? I was thinking of forster benchrest...

2. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

I have really been happy with Redding S Dies. Their micro adjust seating dies makes for perfectly repeatable seating depths off the base to ogive measurement. And I like the bushing option on the sizing die if one needs to mess with neck tension etc.

Scot E.

3. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

Forster and Redding both make excellant seater dies. If they're "worth it" or not depends on the potential accuracy of the rig, the shooter, the skill/knowledge of the loader and how well he can develop a good shooting load. What I mean without a lot of case work is there's no significant accuracy benefit over common dies which are, after all, quite good. There's a LOT more to a good seater die than a simple micrometer depth adjustment screw top. Actually they are mildly helpful during initial set-up but I really don't much care if my own good seaters have mic tops or not.

I wouldn't deal with the agravation with the current fad of "neck bushing" sizers for a SAAMI chambered rifle if they were selling at half price. A body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer takes care of my accuracy resizing work quite well.

4. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Interesting perspective. I would be interested to hear how you get consistent base to ogive measurements on your reloads without a micro seater. Not saying it can't be done I just haven't seen a way that accomplishes it as quickly and easily.

Scot E.