6.5x55 AI questions

ramrod79

Good day all I recently purchased a Custom 6.5x55 ,and was thinking of turning it into a 6.5x55 AI .

Here is the platform :
Remington action that has been fully trued ,and a 23" #2 Lalija Barrel with a 8 twist set into a WildCat lightweight stock 7 LBS scoped nice little MNT rifle .
As the gun sits it shoots 127LRX at 2900- 5 shots into a half inch group so I thought if went to the AI version I should get 3000-3100 with the same bullet .

Does anyone have any input or load data on this 6.5x55 AI cartridge I like tinkering,and thought a Hot Rod 6.5 would be something to try .

Lets here from all you 6.5x55 AI guys.

I hope you get a lot of response on this because I've been thinking about having one of these built for my daughter. I believe the Ackley improved version is about a 10% gain in case capacity. I'm not hugely versed on the 6.5x55 Swed but to me it kinda looks like a Rem. 6mm with a slightly shorter neck. Best part for me, Lapua brass. I think Kevin Cram w/MCR has built one, I should email him and see what he has to say but knowing Kevin, he'll probably ask me why I'd want to mess with fireforming when I can just build a 6.5-284 and be done. :rolleyes:

If you would not mind email him ask him his thoughts , and I am sure he may tell you go 65-284 but I like to tinker so the 6.5x55AI version would be nice,and I would think that the 65x55AI would also get better barrel life over the 65-284 but I could be wrong . I had a 6.5 284, and was never fond of it for some reason, and I would rather have 260 AI or an AI in the Swede . It must be the tinkering that gets to me .

The 6.5 Wolf Killer is a new wildcat I developed on the 6.5X55 Swede, it is not the AI but my own version, I completely maxed out the case for full powder capacity, I went with a 35 degree shoulder for smoother feeding from detachable mags,

I am building it on a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede, I'm leaving the factory tube intact and have a new 26" 8 twist 5R Bartlein #3 contour in my shop for the project,

This cartridge is just a personal project I am messing with and it essentially duplicates 6.5-284 ballistics in a different case, one good part is Lapua brass is at $65 per 100 vs $120.0 for the 6.5-284 and I already have 500 pcs of Lapua brass and 300 pcs of mixed US made stuff for the Swede ,
reamer specs are for the 140 gr Berger VLD's seated to max length in the Tikka T3 Swede magazine .

The rifle/cartridge is my lightweight rifle project for wolf hunting on a snowmachine and cross country skis/snowshoes .....

Thus the name ... 6.5 Wolf Killer

I have a 6,5x55AI. The parent cartridge holds a unique standing in Norway, so high quality cases and ammo for fireforming is both cheap and available. Witch makes it a low effort wildcat!
In my, close to 30 inch, barrel it increases velocity by around 50m/s with 140gr a-max bullets. Ending up at just over 900m/s or 3000f/s if you will.
After a descent number of roedeers, both before and after rechambering, I'd have to admit that the big difference in terminal performance is a little hard to spot. The picture could of course look different with different bullets or and game. But hey, little fun comes out of doing only the sensible and necessary, right!?:)
For this years season I will try the 123gr a-max, witch initiall testing suggest will give a extra 120-150f/s over the 140gr.

I found 50.5 g H4831SC underneath 139 g Scenars was a very accurate round in my 6.5x55AI, this is strictly for 6.5x55AI built on a modern action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.