6.5x47 Lapua build

steeltraps

Who on here has a 6.5x47 lapua? For some insane reason i am thinking of building one. I have a 6.5x284, 260, 264,and a 6.5 Creedmore. Why do i need another 6.5? Well i have 20,000 small rifle primers. I have a rem 700 short action H-S stock in the closet collecting dust. I found a Jewell trigger in my safe that i forgot i had. I have a 20 moa nightforce base and some medium nightforce rings. Basicly all i need is a Nightforce scope, a rem 700 short action, and a 6.5 barrell. My friend has a 6.5x47 lapua that shoots like a hammer! At 600 yards with Bartlein MTU barrell today it shot a 2 inch group . What is a good neck diameter? My 260 is .296 neck . My loaded round is 293. Does anyone here know what a 6.5x47 lapua virgin brass loaded with a 140 bergers neck measurement is? I dont have any loading manuals with 6.5x47 lapua data, so i cant look it up. Thanks for the help.gun)

I would like to see you build one and report back. I would like to hear if the 6.5x47 is easier to load for and more accurate than the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor. From all my reading it might be.

I have built many rifles in 6.5x47 Lapua, And they all shoot extremely well. Most of the guys like
the 120 to 130 grain bullets.

They were all chambered with SAMMI spec. reamers (Nothing tricky) and use the Lapua brass.

The Lapua Scenars don't seem to be a good bullet for accuracy for some reason, and most of the guys find the better bullets are domestic (Sierra, Nosler, Hornady).

I can find, or say Nothing bad about this round and it is easy to load for and accuracy is also easy to achieve.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I have thounds of 140 vld bergers on hand. I have shot them in my 6.5x284 and 260 out to 1500 yards on rocks. I peronally feel that SAMMI Spec is a little to wide. Now MIN. SAMMI spec might be find. The last 6.5 i had built was a 260 with .297 zero free bore neck. My loaded round is 294 and i use a 293 redding bushing for 1 thounds tention. I dont want my loaded round to have more than 2th per side when chambered. If i knew the diameter of a 65.x47 lapua WITH a 140 berger i could go ahead and order a reamer from PTG monday. Right now my friend with the 6.5x47 is on vaction in the Bahamas for 2 weeks, or i would just get a loaded round from him.

I have one built on the Deviant action and I can get enough of shooting it. Super accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

Talked to my friend that has the 6.5x47 . He says the neck measurement for a 6.5x47 is 2895-290. So i am going to get a 293-294 zero free bore reamer ordered from PTG for the 6,5x47 in the next few days. Dont know if i will get a 293 or a 294 yet but will order wednesday .

I have been a big fan of J E Custom for as long as I have been on here. If he says keep it simple I would try to follow his advice. I would get in touch with him if I had any questions.

:DThanks, i apprecate the advice, but i prefer tight neck chambers. J E Customs is correct about SAMMI spec being fine for most people. I have shot competion and am VERY use to Turning necks if nessary. Most people will do best with a NO Turn neck. Basically anything above 294 should be a no turn neck. At 294 you should have 4 or 5 ths clearnce. Thats 2 ths each side of the cartridge neck. Loaded rounds with 140 vlds measure 2895-290 in the 6.5x47 lapua. I am going to order a 294 zero freebore neck 6.5 x47 reamer tomorrow. My gun smith has the pilots all ready so PTG should beable to build me a reamer in 4-6 weeks i would think. Thanks for a your responses.gun)

Bartlein!! Last 4 builds have been Bartlein and all 4 shoot 1/4 moa. Until i get a bad one im sticking with Bartlein. Im not real picky about barrel size. I will order what ever is in stock at Bugholes, Sinclair, Butches, Brunos, or Bullets.co. I just checked and bullets .com has a 6.5= 1-8 twist # 14 Med Palma Bartlein in stock. Thats the same barrel i used on my 260 build last year. A number 14 med. palma= 6.2 lbs =1.20 x5 tapering down to 890, i think. A factor sendero contour weights 5.85 lbs i think. It will finish at 27 but i will go 26 and tread it for break and suppressor.:D

:DThanks, i apprecate the advice, but i prefer tight neck chambers. J E Customs is correct about SAMMI spec being fine for most people. I have shot competion and am VERY use to Turning necks if nessary. Most people will do best with a NO Turn neck. Basically anything above 294 should be a no turn neck. At 294 you should have 4 or 5 ths clearnce. Thats 2 ths each side of the cartridge neck. Loaded rounds with 140 vlds measure 2895-290 in the 6.5x47 lapua. I am going to order a 294 zero freebore neck 6.5 x47 reamer tomorrow. My gun smith has the pilots all ready so PTG should beable to build me a reamer in 4-6 weeks i would think. Thanks for a your responses.gun)

Obviously you know something about chambering and I just wanted to share my experiences having also shot completion at the state and national level and also built lots of rifles for myself and others.

The reason that I don't recommend chambers that have a tight neck is they can cause higher pressures without velocities reaching the desired/possible levels if the necks are not turned.

I like to keep the necks as thick as possible as long as they are true and uniform.

No throat is another way to limit the possible velocity of a cartridge. If you short throat a chamber
you will not be able to reach designed velocities without excessive pressure.

The 6.5 x 47 is not a large capacity case and needs the free bore to achieve the designed velocities
for a given bullet weight.

I re chambered a 6.5 x 47 for a friend that had pressure issues with minimum loads and extraction was very hard. after taking a chamber cast to see if I could figure out what the problem was and
discovered it had no throat and a tight neck (Turning the necks would not have solved the problem)

This was a pre-chambered and threaded barrel and it was for a savage and my friend installed it himself. (The head space was correct when I checked it).

I have seen this problem on other rifles with no free bore and tight necks.

Some think that you have to seat the bullet against the lands to get accuracy, with the better dies
chamber reamers and powders we have today this is no longer true.

I personally have 5 rifles and one pistol that will shoot under 1/10th of a minute and they all have
free bore and SAMMI neck diameters.

All of the "New" high velocity/pressure cartridges have Plenty of free bore in order to reach there intended velocities.

I just thought I would explain the reasons for my recommendations.

I hope you don't have any problems and good luck on your build, you will like the 6,5x47.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom, you are correct. I apprecate you comments and concerns. I sometimes like to "skim" turn my neck as neccesary to get them all even. Im not looking for high speed in the 6.5x47 lapua. I going for 2850 fps with a 140 vld. My creedmore gets 2900-2925 fps . And i have a fast 260 that gets 3000fps. I like zero free bore reamers so I can set the bullet just where i want it. Another thing i have my gunsmith do is make= take the reamer, and make me a seating die from a Harrells blank. This makes run -out as close to 0, as you can get it. I only use Harrells sizing dies and blanks that my gunsmith makes. You are 100% right on the no need to seat in to the rifling. If you have zero run out in your loaded rounds, it will make a big differnce in my opion. Thats for your input, going to call bullet.com and PTG to get my barrell and reamer on the way.

Good luck reaching anywhere near 2850 fps w/ 140 VLD with zero freebore. My guns I've built typically shot 2750 fps with 140 vlds with .173" freebore. Its hard to say how much velocity you would loose with zero freebore, but i would guess 100 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.