6.5x284 savage feeding problems

TimeOnTarget

Finally got my savage 6.5x284 running today. First group looks promising. Right @ an inch.

My problem is i cannot make it feed the 6.5 round. The bolt will go right over the top round in the magazine

This rifle was originally a 30.06. Is there a different follower that I should be using?

Thx guys!

My guess is that if your Savage has an internal box used with either the floorplate or blind magazine design, feeding is dependent on the diameter of the case. The case of the 6,5x 284 is fatter and therefore when loaded into the magazine it is locating the rim of the cartridge too low for the bolt to pick up the rim. You have to get a magazine box designed for the 6.5x284 case, or another cartridge of the same case diameter. The lips that hold the cartridge will allow the rim to extend further upwards. You might be able to grind the magazine lips just enough to allow the case to extend upwards so the rim can be picked up by the bolt and still hold them in the clip.

My guess is that if your Savage has an internal box used with either the floorplate or blind magazine design, feeding is dependent on the diameter of the case. The case of the 6,5x 284 is fatter and therefore when loaded into the magazine it is locating the rim of the cartridge too low for the bolt to pick up the rim. You have to get a magazine box designed for the 6.5x284 case, or another cartridge of the same case diameter. The lips that hold the cartridge will allow the rim to extend further upwards. You might be able to grind the magazine lips just enough to allow the case to extend upwards so the rim can be picked up by the bolt and still hold them in the clip.

Thanks Grey,

You are correct its a blind magazine and thats exactly what is happening. The Rim of the cartridge is way to low and the bolt is sliding right over the round. Back to the drawing board with the dremel!

Is there replacement parts available that i could just swap out instead of grinding?

Couldnt seem to find any specifically for the 6.5 on midway.

Last edited:
Thanks Grey,

You are correct its a blind magazine and thats exactly what is happening. The Rim of the cartridge is way to low and the bolt is sliding right over the round. Back to the drawing board with the dremel!

Is there replacement parts available that i could just swap out instead of grinding?

Couldnt seem to find any specifically for the 6.5 on midway.

I would give Savage a call. You just need a mag box for a fatter cartridge . I have gotten help from them in the past. I would try the Dremel first though.

Talked to savage this morning, They use the same mag box/follower in both the 06 and 6.5x284. Said that the feed lips just needed to be adjusted.

To bring the back/rim of the cartridge up so the bolt catches the back end of the cartridge i need to bend the front of the feed lips down to push the front of the cartridge down. correct?

Or am i backwards in my thinking???

Talked to savage this morning, They use the same mag box/follower in both the 06 and 6.5x284. Said that the feed lips just needed to be adjusted.

To bring the back/rim of the cartridge up so the bolt catches the back end of the cartridge i need to bend the front of the feed lips down to push the front of the cartridge down. correct?

Or am i backwards in my thinking???

I believe that you should bend the lips outwards so the catridge is not pointed up or down, but level. That would mean that you should bend the lips outwards,equally along ther entire length. You just want the entire cartridge to he high enough so that the bolt catches the rim.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.