6.5x284 powder choices, loading soon.

I have also fired many hundreds of round of 6.5X284 Norma rounds while competing in 600 and
1000 yd. benchrest competitions. H4831, not H-4831SC, is my preferred powder. My load was a 142 gr. Serria HPBT, with 46.3 grains of H4831, a Federal 210M primer in Lapua brass. This load will give you approximately 2850 fps at the muzzle.

I have also fired many hundreds of round of 6.5X284 Norma rounds while competing in 600 and
1000 yd. benchrest competitions. H4831, not H-4831SC, is my preferred powder. My load was a 142 gr. Serria HPBT, with 46.3 grains of H4831, a Federal 210M primer in Lapua brass. This load will give you approximately 2850 fps at the muzzle.

My guess is that your load of 46.3 using 4831 fits in the case quite nicely. I have used both with lighter loadsand have gotten similar results. Forhunting with my 24" Savage a load of 53 grains of 4831sc fits in the case without compression, and gives me 2950 FPS with comparable accuracy.

Well I hope to get some test loads done in the next month. My schedule is very hectic.

Definitely decided on going with H4831SC and Retumbo to start.

Referencing this site: 6.5-284 Cartridge Guide it appears that H4831SC and H4350 are the 2 top powder choices for bench shooters. So why did a few of the well known video guys get on the Retumbo and H1000 wagon with this caliber?

I have all 4 powders on hand and I have 300 JLK 140 VLDs and about the same number of Berger 140 VLDs. I drew late season mule deer for CO which I've never done. I have 4 new rifles, 2 in the safe, 2 on the way, that have not been fired. 2 are going with me but I haven't decided which 2 yet.

So, somewhere along the line the guys at BOTW and Gunwerks decided to shoot Retumbo, then I think I heard they moved to H1000. A trusted, very experienced shooter I talk with advised that he noticed excellent temp stability with Ramshot Magnum and it was on par or better than the Hodgdon powders, but I cannot remember his statements with regards to accuracy but it was not bad.

My 6.5x284 has a Bartlein 24" barrel and I have limited time to get this rifle ready. It is unfired.

So, question 1 is would you use a regular rifle primer or a magnum if choosing H1000 or Retumbo, and question 2 is which powder would you opt to use first if you had the following on hand and plenty of it: H4350, H4831SC, H1000, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum?

Thanks for your time.

Derek.....I don't have a 6.5/284 but I have found in my 6.5 Sherman that Retumbo and H1000 give higher velocities than most powders and still have low temp sensitivty. I suspect the velocity gain is why BOTW and others use it. Second, I would recommend that you use std. primers, especially if you are using H1000. You don't need magnum primers with that case capacity and in fact, I use Fed 210's in my 30/375 S.I. with H1000 which has a 96.4 case capacity. If in doubt, check the groups on the 30/375 thread. H1000 is easy to ignite and very consistent. You may get a little more velocity with Retumbo, but not sure with that capacity?.....Rich

Rich, thanks for that intel. I recall awhile back when I spoke with some of those BOTW/gunwerks guys that they told me Retumbo came into play due to velocity and temp sensitivity, but had more recently switched to H1000 and I think that's because they could get it in much larger quantities. Could be wrong but I want to say someone said they are seeing a little less velocity with the H1000 but not much.

Regardless, I have about 10 pounds of H1000, 7 pounds of Retumbo, and 8 of H4831SC so plenty on hand.

I'll chew on it. I have plenty of time before the hunt.

Rich, thanks for that intel. I recall awhile back when I spoke with some of those BOTW/gunwerks guys that they told me Retumbo came into play due to velocity and temp sensitivity, but had more recently switched to H1000 and I think that's because they could get it in much larger quantities. Could be wrong but I want to say someone said they are seeing a little less velocity with the H1000 but not much.

Regardless, I have about 10 pounds of H1000, 7 pounds of Retumbo, and 8 of H4831SC so plenty on hand.

I'll chew on it. I have plenty of time before the hunt.

Yes, I think you will find that retumbo gives a little better velocity than H1000.....rich

I've been using RL22 for my 6.5x284 and been getting good results. 1/4in groups at 200yds. 52.5 grs shooting Hornadys 140gr SSTs with CCI Bench Rest Primers. Velocity is around 2900fps. I shoot a Savage LRH with a 30in Barrel. I'm going to get it rechambered to a 6.5 Weatherby though.gun)

Anybody use their 6.5x284 on Elk yet?

FYI- I loaded H4350, H4831, and retumbo. My current load is 57.5 grains retumbo, 2975 fps. This is a 24inch savage barrel. So far it produces highest velocity with lowest pressure sign. 58.5 showed pressure and only 25 fps gain. sticking with 57.5 for now.

FYI- I loaded H4350, H4831, and retumbo. My current load is 57.5 grains retumbo, 2975 fps. This is a 24inch savage barrel. So far it produces highest velocity with lowest pressure sign. 58.5 showed pressure and only 25 fps gain. sticking with 57.5 for now.

Your velocitity using Retumbo is identicle to the results I have gotten. It important to note that about 1.5-2 years ago Hogdon changed the formulation of Retumbo. The older formulation gave the exact same performance but required 1.5 gr. more. or 59gr compared to the recent production lots that run at 57.5. Back then I was using 59gr in my 6.5x284, but backed off to 57.5 gr. to hold my ballistics. I also found that using the new Retumbo I could get an additional 25-50 FPS by increasing the newer lots charge weight back to 59gr, but chose not to change. ES and accuracy was just as good at the higher velocity, and I didnt experience pressure as long as I was well off the lands with my bullet. This change in powder was not limited to Retumbo. I also saw a change with H1000 about the same time.

Again, thank you for your experience, knowledge, and willingness to share it. It worked for me and now I have a great place to start working on a bit tighter accuracy nodes. Once I get the NF scope mounted, I will use a much more stable bench to zero and group from. Right now the velocity variation is under 10 with multiple shots reporting at 1 and 2. Pretty good for a hunter I think. I am not new to reloading but definitely not an expert, so I am learning a great deal.

Glad to find a guy who likes the Savage I bought one last year in the 6.5x284 stainles weather warrior with a 26' inch barrel I love the gun but really have not settled on a load, I have a few that shoot good but not great. I really like the idea of switching to an ELDX 143 from the berger, I had a berger just explode in an Antelope kill that took 2 shots to finish so I was not impressed. My question is have you tried the ELDX in your guns ? if so what loads worked best. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.