6.5X284 load starting point please

You can use a .001" smaller bushing, but if neck tension is to high it will give you vertical stringing at longer ranges. You can run top pressure loads with many reloads with norma or lapua brass, I feel that the primer pockets in the nosler brass will loosen at high pressures., you will probably find that bergers are usually only accurate at 3100fps in a 8.5 twist, I can't remember if you said you had a 8 or 8.5 twist, if its an 8 accuracy is likely to start falling back off after about 2980ish.

I went with the lapua brass because i had read of the loose primer issue with the norma as well and had alos read a bunch of article of bad lots with the norma brass in this particular round. Dont know but that pushed me to the lapua brass.

I have a 1:8.5 twist in mine, you thinking much under 3100 fps the accuracy will be lacking a bit?

It is a 1 in 9 twist. I am using a .293 bushing. I have pretty good accuracy with nosler 140 accubonds but I would like something with a little higher BC. and maybe more speed but the speed is not a huge deal.

I use the bushing neck dies as well,with a neck dia. of .299 I use a .292 bushing which will usually spring back a bit give me about a .006 neck pressure. For me this works well in a hunting situation. For bench shooting,I usually will be in the .002-.003 range,depending on the rifle.This light of neck pressure can pull the bullet,if you need to eject the cartridge before its fired.As for dealing with pressure issues to gain 100 fps, I dont think it would be worth it for me,to many possible problems for such a small gain----My humble opinion only----What do ya'll think ?

The 8.5 twist will stabilize the bergers perfect at 3050fps, its going to be hard to stabilize them in a 9 twist unless the elevation is above 5k feet and MV is >3100fps.

They seem to be stable so far at least the first 200 yards. I live at 5400 ft and hunt usually 7000+. I haven't cronographed them but I am using 52 gr of H4831sc on them as well. I just haven't got very good groups yet.

Ok finally got the moons and stars aligned and when i got off this morning i got to grab my gun and worked loads and finally get some trigger time behind my 6.5X284.

I loaded up a few loads with the 140gr berger vld hunting bullet, started from 47.5-50.5 grs of H4350, using lapua brass, and CCI BR's primers. I loaded up 7 in the 47.5 and 3 rounds for the rest hoping i could be sighted in 3-4 rounds at most, and that was great.

I had read somewhere these rifles usally peak 2-3 times in a wide spread of load ranges. Here is what i measured.

47.5gr=.442
48.0gr=.413
48.5gr=.648
49.0gr=.527
49.5gr=.449
50.0gr=.900
50.5gr=.794

I had no heavy bolts, took a dial caliber with me and measured all the case's after being shot while letting barrel cool 1-2mins between shots and had no abnormal case expansion and no primers popped out or bulged.

Should i try to work on up some and see if the group tightens up one more time or start at 49.2 grs and work up to 50.0 grs in .2 incriments to find that sweet spot or both?

Please give me your thoughts, also wondering if anyone is using these loads if they have chronographed them to give me some idea of the speed until i get a chronograph myself, all thoughs and feedback will be much thanked, thanks again.

Ok finally got the moons and stars aligned and when i got off this morning

Please give me your thoughts, also wondering if anyone is using these loads if they have chronographed them to give me some idea of the speed until i get a chronograph myself, all thoughs and feedback will be much thanked, thanks again.

I am sure that there are many ways to interpet your info and proceed, but at this point I would take the 49.5 gr. load and proceed from there, assuming your groups are symmetrical. Your group sizes at 49.5 and under are statistically the same and there seems to be a break above 49.5. To continue testing with small increments may not be the best use of your time given you still have to find out what your velocity and ES which is important. Given you don't have your Chrono yet, other things I would check:
The effect of seating depth, if you haven't already done so.
Test group at longer range if accessible. In addition to seeing how your load performs,
at + 500 yards, while not precise, using a ballistic calculator you could get an idea of your velocity using impact point and BC.
With your powder out of a 26" barrel, you should be around 2950FPS.
IMHO

Greyfox,

thanks for the input, do you think with the 49.5grs the velocity is 2950? I am going to try to get me a chrongraph or see if i can use a friends. I am seating .011 off the lands now and may try to move it around some as well. I plan on stretching out to a longer distance with it soon if weather permits i have plenty of open grounds if the wind is not 10+mph which is fine unless working up a load. I also lightened up my trigger some today. I knew it was stiff but not that stiff, showed 6.5lbs but broke clean and now its at 2.25lbs clean and crisp.

Greyfox,

thanks for the input, do you think with the 49.5grs the velocity is 2950? I am going to try to get me a chrongraph or see if i can use a friends. I am seating .011 off the lands now and may try to move it around some as well. I plan on stretching out to a longer distance with it soon if weather permits i have plenty of open grounds if the wind is not 10+mph which is fine unless working up a load. I also lightened up my trigger some today. I knew it was stiff but not that stiff, showed 6.5lbs but broke clean and now its at 2.25lbs clean and crisp.[

I tried it in my rifle and velocities were in that range. It's a faster powder then H4831SC or Retumbo, which is the slowest burning. Charge weights are less with H4350. 4831sc takes 53gr.to get that velocity, Retumbo, 57gr. My rifles like H4831SC and Retumbo. Your rifle groups very well. They may tighten up further with the lighter trigger pull. If you try seating deeper, keep an eye on your pressure. Let us know what you load chronographs.

Will do, thanks again for your input and everyones elses as well, im going to try and not jam into the lands unless i have to but if i do i will be sure to drop the charge back down a couple of grain and work up.

65Xx284490and495grainsofH4350aftertriggerjob.jpg

Got my trigger set to 2.5lbs, loaded up some more bullets at same seating depth and wanted to try these to loads again and got to use a chrony, 49.0 was hitting in at 2935 ish and the 49.5 gr was getting in the 2985 ish, the chrony i was using was ancient but was real steady at that but on a couple of them it took it like 200 fps in one direction or another, had me worried at first but tried it with my 204 factory loads and pet loads and did the same thing, need to invest in one myself.

These groups was at 129yards and i am pleased with them except on the top one i jerked a tad bit on the one that is marked " me " without it group measured .322, and very pleased with the bottom group as well cause the only thing sticking out on it was the first fouling shot after i cleaned the barrel.

Hope to get to extend the range to 300 yards and do some test soon, wanted to get some kind of idea on the velocity so i could use a drop chart, small steps i guess on this rifle but i am really liking the 6.5X284 so far. Thanks for the help, and wanted to ask for opions if im missing something that i shouldnt be. thanks again

You can't do much better than that! Given your ES are tight, you are good to go and establish your drop data. At 2985 FPS, you're right in the sweet spot for this round. Looks like another 6.5x284 addict has been born. Happened to me, and i have't looked back.

Looks like another 6.5x284 addict has been born. Happened to me, and i have't looked back.

Yea i think i'm addicted, bad thing is now started tomorrow i gotta work for about 28 days in a row, but there is talk about sundays off, i hope so lol need some more trigger time behind it soon to fill the addiction.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.