6.5x284 is it really this good

this is the 3rd rifle that nate is building for me. i acutually get the pleaser of living 30 miles from him. he does a nice job. he built my 7mm wsm and my 6x47 lapua.

i think that this is going to be a great gun for getting in close on deer. my 7mm wsm weighs 15 lbs. this is alittle heavy for staulking in close. i am hoping that this gun will be able to push a 140 berger vld at 2950, this might be unrealistic though from what you guys are saying. i went with a broughton 5c and am finishing it at 26 inches. i guess we will see what it can do when it gets done...

6.5-284

I have not shot anything but targets mine is quite heavy. with my 28 inch kreiger i get 3178 with 123 and 3126 with 139 . i use lapua brass exclusively. mrp-2 powder.i have one coming that is lighter. i would use the 130 accubonds , 125 part or 120 grain bt for deer. i am interested to hear how the bergers work. roninflag

I have 2 personal 6.5-.284's but are the John Hoover design with a .297" neck dia. Very little difference from the 6.5-.284 Win. One is in a 45 lb. heavy gun with a 30" Shilen barrel 1-9 twist and shoots the 142g SMK's with Lapua brass and H4831SC at 2950 fps. My other rifle is my varmint rifle with a 27" Shilen barrel 1-9 twist and shoots the 140g A-max with Lapua brass and H4831SC at 2980. I have enough energy (my min. 800 ft/lbs) to take deer out to around 900 yards. Works great but, keep a close eye on a consistent seating depth as the throats burn out rather quickly.

i was thinking of the wsm but since i shoot a few other wsms i figured that i would go with the standard 6.5x284. the wsm has more velocity but willl really burn the throat too.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.