6.5prc rebarrel, leaning toward 7SS

Lots of data, and lots of guys here use them. Same logic in general as an AI - use SAAMI for the parent (ish) case as a starting point and roll up to max. Just have a lot more room to work with.

It's to the point I don't really consider Rich's major offerings as true "wildcats" because you can buy formed brass and pre-made dies from him, and get load data just as easily as for a SAAMI round. To me a wildcat is something that I have to do extra steps to make it works, these are turn-key fully supported cartridge designs with a strong backing from Rich.

Like you said, 150 pieces will get you through the life of the barrel, and Rich has them in stock.
Do you have any experience with prefit barrels chambered in one of the Sherman's? I see that carbon 6 offers a savage prefit in 7ss. I'm sure they are using a reamer from Rich. The more reading I do the less confident I am that a Saami reamed 7saum at 2.960 is really optimal.

Do you have any experience with prefit barrels chambered in one of the Sherman's?
No experience with pre-fit Shermans specifically, but with Shermans and pre-fits in general yes. They either work or they don't, and I wouldn't be worried about Carbon 6 not backing something up, they seem like a good company.

I would second doing a Sherman. No more hassle than normal loading. Since barrels speed up at around 100 rounds no sense doing load work till then. So I load everything at a middle road charge for parent round. Shoot all those for practice and fun. Then after that start load work and at that point it the very same as loading for anything. Same process I use for standard rounds.

As stated rich has always had what I need when I need it. Just wish I would have found them sooner.

If you go 7SS, hit me up for load data.
I have one, and have loaded for 7 others. Both the original chamber and the new SS/B chamber.
I run a 184 Hyb in my 24" 1:8.4" and get 2820 w. H1000, 2865 w. N565, and 2916 w. RL26. I have loads for the 160 TMK, 165 TGK, 175 Elite as well. None of these are max loads. Just where accuracy are best in mine.
I have tested a ton of bullets, powder, and primers.
I think it rivals a 7SAUM for speed. But fits better in a true SA.

What barrel length would you recommend for a 7ss with a suppressor? I might go that route as well.

If you go 7SS, hit me up for load data.
I have one, and have loaded for 7 others. Both the original chamber and the new SS/B chamber.
I run a 184 Hyb in my 24" 1:8.4" and get 2820 w. H1000, 2865 w. N565, and 2916 w. RL26. I have loads for the 160 TMK, 165 TGK, 175 Elite as well. None of these are max loads. Just where accuracy are best in mine.
I have tested a ton of bullets, powder, and primers.
I think it rivals a 7SAUM for speed. But fits better in a true SA.
What is the difference between the original SS and the B chamber? I wonder which reamer carbon6 is using

A couple years ago, ADG (who supplies all Sherman brass) changed their specs on SAUM brass (which is the parent case for the SS) to minimum specs. They are slightly smaller now.
The original chamber with the new brass was prett hard if you went full power loads on virgin brass.

The new SS/B chamber (new reamer) takes care of this problem, as it is slightly smaller than the original chamber. All gunsmiths were supposed to send in the original reamers to get reground to the SS/B dimensions.

SST, SS, and Max chambers were all effected by this.

A couple years ago, ADG (who supplies all Sherman brass) changed their specs on SAUM brass (which is the parent case for the SS) to minimum specs. They are slightly smaller now.
The original chamber with the new brass was prett hard if you went full power loads on virgin brass.

The new SS/B chamber (new reamer) takes care of this problem, as it is slightly smaller than the original chamber. All gunsmiths were supposed to send in the original reamers to get reground to the SS/B dimensions.

SST, SS, and Max chambers were all effected by this.
Thanks for the info! I'm gunna order a barrel from carbon 6 before they end the holiday sale. I'll reach out and make sure they are using the B reamer. Thanks for the info!

Recent Posts