6.5CM or .308 for Bull Elk

"Big monster trophy bull elk" as you have described would make me consider a cartridge heavier than either of your choices but that's just me. I'd be looking at any of the various 300mags.

Those are big animals. I got my first one with an 06 shooting 200 grain round nose back in the day. Later on my trusty 270 with 150's. I've seen a big bull stop a 7mag 175 grain and just stand there like "You Missed!" I'm a 7 STW person for elk.

I have 308's with 24 inch barrels and they are never my go to round even for deer.

Bullet placement is everything. So it's wise to study the anatomy first. I studied Bison and heart shot my first one with a 270.

Heavy for caliber might have great BC and is actually going faster than a lighter bullet way out there like 600+ yard. But the slow velocity doesn't expand the bullet very well. I've shot numerous deer with 270 with 150 spbt's always a pass through with a small exit wound. I used a 130 grain Barns X and it had no lungs left and a nearly 4 inch exit wound. So heavy bullets in 6.5 is kinda out My 308 24 inch hunting round is the 168 or even 150's

My son and I have killed a dozen or more really big elk over the past ten years, all inside 300 yards. All have been one or two shot kills. The second shot was never needed but it's hard to wait when the animal is still standing. In the early years, he shot a .308. I shoot a 300 WM. He has moved up to the 300 WM.

I agree a 6.5 CM will kill elk. Elk, however, are tough animals. It's nice to have enough gun.

Both would absolutely work at your suggested 200 yd range limit, but I'd be inclined to use the 308.

Ran some rough ballistics on the 168 TTSX. At 2800 fps, that bullet will still be traveling ~2300 fps and have ~1975 ftlbs of energy at 300 yds. That would wallop even the biggest bull if placed in the boiler room.

The 140 Accubond at 2800 fps would have roughly the same velocity, but be carrying 300 ftlbs less energy, and expand to 10-15% smaller frontal area. Still a killer I'm sure, but not quite as good on paper.

Anything else to consider between the two guns? Is one lighter to carry or easier to handle? Does one have better glass for hunting? For sub 300 yd shooting, pure accuracy or pure power isn't the only consideration in "what's best".

I think you are splitting hairs between those two cartridges.
Inside 500 yards with the proper .308 bullet, maybe assuming the bullet does not hit bone. Longer range, definitely not. Modern hunting bullets stop expanding below 1600 to 2000 fps. The 300 WM shooting a heavier, higher BC bullet than you can shoot in a .308 will add 300 or more yards to effective hunting range. Admittedly beyond 500 yards.

Besides this is America where bigger is always better.

Drew a 16a tag. Trophy Elk unit. Big monster bulls.

I'm leaning towards my 6.5cm. Only because it's sub MOA out to 400 yds. I just love shooting it. 140 gr Accubonds ragged holes at 200 yards.

My .308 is accurate, but nothing like my creedmoor. TTSX 168 would be the ammo of choice. It groups well, but not ragged holes. I'm confident to 200 yards.

6.5creed 140 accubonds
or
.308 TTSX 168's.

What say you ?
Maybe a better trigger or optics for the 308? Bedding job? Have a killer load with 178 gr ELD-X's for my 308 that will stomp...maybe sell the creedmoor to upgrade the 308 or buy a 300wm?

Inside 500 yards with the proper .308 bullet, maybe assuming the bullet does not hit bone. Longer range, definitely not. Modern hunting bullets stop expanding below 1600 to 2000 fps. The 300 WM shooting a heavier, higher BC bullet than you can shoot in a .308 will add 300 or more yards to effective hunting range. Admittedly beyond 500 yards.

Besides this is America where bigger is always better.
That's your opinion and your entitled to, the Op never mentioned a 300 WM or anything else for that matter, as long as he does his part the 308 will be perfectly fine

Drew a 16a tag. Trophy Elk unit. Big monster bulls.

I'm leaning towards my 6.5cm. Only because it's sub MOA out to 400 yds. I just love shooting it. 140 gr Accubonds ragged holes at 200 yards.

My .308 is accurate, but nothing like my creedmoor. TTSX 168 would be the ammo of choice. It groups well, but not ragged holes. I'm confident to 200 yards.

6.5creed 140 accubonds
or
.308 TTSX 168's.

What say you ?
Work on your load with the .308 to increase to your accuracy and confidence. The ttsx will out penetrate the Accubond in your creed and will give you more shot options. I have use Barnes on elk for years and they penetrate well. Both cartridges are light in my opinion for a trophy elk hunt only for the fact of limited range and power. I would like my cartridge and rifle combo to be able to reliably kill a large elk from any reasonable angle because they don't always give you a perfect broadside shot. Also depending g on the terrain it could be a shot at a moving elk at close range and a tough heavy for caliber bullet will work the best. Congrats on your drawing the tag and go with the 308 imo.

Side note, IME it'll take a 200 grain or so in the 30 cal to keep up with a 140 in the 6.5 when it comes to penetrating............

Side note, IME it'll take a 200 grain or so in the 30 cal to keep up with a 140 in the 6.5 when it comes to penetrating............
If you're only looking at sectional density and both bullets are of the exact same construction and exact same impact velocity, you are correct. But a solid copper ttsx will have less frontal area when expanded compared to an Accubond, and will loose little to no weight after impact and generally penetrate deeper.

Explain that one please. My 1 moose died from my 6.5 accubond, and the bullet did bounce around in the lungs, never exited.